trickfred
level5
level5

Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 2:31 pm

darwinia: enemy within

the story so far...
...it is months after the Red Army War. Darwinia is suffering from system
failures, inactive systems, and even visual instability.

assist dr. sepulveda in locating the source of the errors, and cleaning up any 'stray' virii left over from the red army war.

you also find evidence that you may not be 'alone' in the quantum ether...

latest versions:
part one - v1.43 - 2006.06.29
part two - v1.12 - 2006.06.29
part three - v1.02 - 2006.07.15

download darwinia: enemy within (rar and zip)
download mirror (zip only)
download mirror (zip only)

p.s. - these mods require the 1.42 patch, or at least the 1.4x beta patch for linux.

p.p.s. - please download from the above links, as part one on thenextgame.co.uk is out of date. thanks!

---

enemy within part 3 mini-faq:
***possible spoilers below***
***read at your own peril***

q) how do you complete the 'scout' objectives?

a) you don't. they are there to either prevent the level from autocompleting, or to cover up some hidden goings-on somewhere else in the level, thanks to the broken makeavailable command (grr), for example. sometimes both reasons.

q) early on in the mod, i have to make a choice between two levels. why?

a) my attempt at dynamic level design. one path gets you armours (and makes the mod easier), the other path (without armours) makes the mod much more challenging.

q) i've lost access to (some level), how do I get back in to it?

a) several levels only become available to you for a limited time, and if you miss your window, you're boned. this may affect available programs and play options later in the mod. the mod will usually give you a small hint as to the length of availability of a level, but won't beat you around the ears with it. under specific circumstances, you will get a second chance to enter one specific level. all levels may not necessarily become available to you.

q) my system is bogging down in frontside bus. there's too many enemies!

a) "(FrontSide Bus) has a metric fuck-ton of enemies in it" - xander

my suggestion to you - stop dawdling, and get a move on before things get too hairy in there! that level is meant to be sped through as fast as possible before the way to the end gets too choked up with enemies.

q) my computer (hangs a bit loading/is very slow when playing) the last level

a) it's big. with lots of stuff in it. my computer takes a few seconds to load the last level, yours may take a little bit longer. have patience.

q) is there more than one ending?

a) yes. well, more like a short version, and an extended version. I highly doubt very many people will get the 'extended' ending on first playthrough. :D

q) i played all the way to the end and... where the heck is prometheus??

a) prometheus has squirrelled himself away, and is well hidden. if you are very observant to your surroundings, you may find a hint as to where he's holed up. ;D

q) i've found prometheus, and... now what do I do?

a) sorry, you're on your own.

***read at your own peril***
***possible spoilers above***
end of enemy within part 3 mini-faq
Last edited by trickfred on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 29 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 09, 2005 2:38 pm

Have you offered this up to Icepick, yet?
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=2116

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Yeah, I emailed him a preliminary version 2 days ago, and the final 1.0 version last night. Haven't heard from him yet though, I assume he's busy with RealLife(TM).

Edit: I had even posted in that thread you linked. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 09, 2005 3:47 pm

A very interesting mod, so far. Thanks... now, let's see if I can get through MemoryCache before all of the virii bring my system to a standstill ^_^

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 4:31 pm

I'm glad you like it! I'm playing on an AthlonXP 2200+, 512MB DDR PC2100 ram, and a GeforceFX 5200, and I got an average of 14-15 fps in MemoryCache - if that gives you a point of reference. Then again, I've BlackViper'ed my OS to try and free up as many system resources as possible, so...

...wait, you're probably playing on a Mac. I've got nothing.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 09, 2005 5:11 pm

trickfred wrote:...wait, you're probably playing on a Mac. I've got nothing.

Heh... I do have a Mac. 1 Ghz G4, 1 Gig RAM, on board video. The code for Darwinia on the Mac is... not optimized? At any rate, Macs tend to bog down fairly quickly when there are a lot of units. Tiger seemed to help with landscape rendering (the earlier levels get much better framerates now), but the AI still seems to bog down. At any rate, I managed to finish the three levels after getting to work. Nicely done. I like the virii sprite ^_^

xander
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon May 09, 2005 5:25 pm

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 pm

Sweet! Thanks, what did you think? Good/bad/needs work?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Good Gravy! This has got to be the best nmod I've played (i've dowloaded all the ones I can get my sticky mitts on).

I love the way it continues the story.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 8:23 pm

Thanks, Martin - I do have the plot for all 3 parts mapped out in my mind, I just need to figure out how to do a few more things with the editor and scipting before I start part two. And I personally liked StrickenSouls a lot, and sort of don't feel mine's up to that calibre yet - but it might be when I get parts 2 and 3 finished. :)
Pilske
level0

Postby Pilske » Mon May 09, 2005 9:09 pm

I really liked playing your mod. But I have 1 little 'problem' with it. On the last lvl the lighting really bothered me. It goes from very bright to very dark when I move my mouse a little bit. Mayby it's because I took the left path (I(m a leftie :p), but still... I hope you can change them, to make your mod even better. And by the looks of it, you're well on your way to get equal to StrickenSouls ;)

keep up the good work
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 09, 2005 11:41 pm

Okay, my first suggestion for v1.1 - does anyone else notice the weird light flicking thing in a level with a Soul Destroyer in it, or am I just imagining that?

I just thought of something - it's probably the SD flying in front of the coordinates the 'light' is coming from. Boy, do I feel stupid.

I'll see if I can raise the 'y' of the light, maybe that'll help. And I usually go right.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 10, 2005 12:22 am

trickfred wrote:Okay, my first suggestion for v1.1 - does anyone else notice the weird light flicking thing in a level with a Soul Destroyer in it, or am I just imagining that?

I just thought of something - it's probably the SD flying in front of the coordinates the 'light' is coming from. Boy, do I feel stupid.

I'll see if I can raise the 'y' of the light, maybe that'll help. And I usually go right.

From what I can tell, the light does not come from a point source. Changing the y only changes the verticle angle of the light. I think you may have to look somewhere else to figure out the problem with the flickering light.

xander
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue May 10, 2005 2:37 pm

If the level is getting darker when you change the angle of the camera, it means there aren't any lights on the level. Add a light to the level and the problem goes away.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Doh!

Return to “Mod Projects”