Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:02 am

trickfred wrote:I've had a few emails complaining about the Dishes in that level for one reason or another, but in all honesty, I can't see why.

Perhaps the easiest/fastest thing to do, is just slightly move the position of the dish[es] in question, and as long as they still work for you in the new location, the problems experienced by others may just go away.

The one in the screen shot shows the entrance to the dish well above the level of the landscape, which may account for the failed entry. The only way I could get 4+ squaddies through the dish was to walk them around to the high ground on the right, and enter from there. Even still, it took several tries to get 5 out of 6. (Which I settled for).

trickfred wrote:I don't know what to say, other than what Landscape Detail setting are you playing with?

Looks like it was set to Medium. I had tried that at one point, but it made zero difference in the frame rate and I just forgot to switch it back. That's very likely significant to the problems reported.

trickfred wrote: All levels in the mod were designed with the Landscape Detail setting on High, and no testing was done for any other levels.

If there are system configs out there where rendering speed is the bottleneck (high CPU/low video card), lower detail settings may be a very valid user condition, and it would be beneficial to run smoothly in those modes when such changes are easy to make and not detrimental to the 'normal' configuration.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 am

NOTE:: The Intro script in '?' level is not firing properly - it requires an Engineer in a ScriptTrigger right at the beginning, but anytime you edit a level, the RunningUnits section disappears, and I forgot to add it back in after a last minute edit. Plus, you may/may not need that Engineer to complete the level. Damn MakeAvailable for not working! :evil: This will be fixed sometime tonight or tomorrow. This fix will be compatible with current profiles, if you haven't reached, or are at, that point.

thefrogger wrote:Perhaps the easiest/fastest thing to do, is just slightly move the position of the dish[es] in question, and as long as they still work for you in the new location, the problems experienced by others may just go away.

Probably what I'll have to do, or stick flattened areas underneath them, though they look ugly that way. :P

thefrogger wrote:
trickfred wrote: All levels in the mod were designed with the Landscape Detail setting on High, and no testing was done for any other levels.

If there are system configs out there where rendering speed is the bottleneck (high CPU/low video card), lower detail settings may be a very valid user condition, and it would be beneficial to run smoothly in those modes when such changes are easy to make and not detrimental to the 'normal' configuration.

...And that takes time to test ten or so levels (and all the cutscenes) to make sure that all buildings function properly/landscape is navigable in all 4 Landscape Detail settings. I weighed a much later release date against the probably very few people I assumed that would actually have issues, and... laziness won out. :oops:
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:51 am

trickfred wrote:...And that takes time to test ten or so levels (and all the cutscenes) to make sure that all buildings function properly/landscape is navigable in all 4 Landscape Detail settings.

It's acceptable in a venue like this to let users find such issues and report them. I just meant being agreeable to fix them once they have been reported, which it now sounds like you are. Sorry for misinterpretting your use of, " I don't see anything here that needs to be fixed."
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:01 am

thefrogger wrote:
trickfred wrote:...And that takes time to test ten or so levels (and all the cutscenes) to make sure that all buildings function properly/landscape is navigable in all 4 Landscape Detail settings.

It's acceptable in a venue like this to let users find such issues and report them. I just meant being agreeable to fix them once they have been reported, which it now sounds like you are. Sorry for misinterpretting your use of, " I don't see anything here that needs to be fixed."

Knowing the cause of the issue changes things. Without being sure you were on a different Landscape Detail setting, I really didn't see anything that needed to be changed. But changing that changes everything. :D

I've added a few flattened ares that should fix the problem, I'm testing the Detail levels now.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:26 am

trickfred: with regards to using flatten areas under radar dishes, I think it is a really good idea. If done right (i.e. lots of tweaking), and the flatten areas are small, they are almost unnoticable. I use that trick a lot in Insurrection -- for instance, I would never have been able to build the shrine Image without flatten areas. I also use them in Database, Rebellion, and a few other levels. For the most part, you can't even tell that they are there. The other thing that you can do is create a very small land tile that is just a little bit taller than the surrounding area, and turn down the noise frequency and amplitude. That might make it easier for units to get in...

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:30 am

I've used them before in that regard, and to patch holes in landscape, etc... I'm just crabby that people aren't playing at high Landscape Detail and making more work for me. ;D

Edit: Update's up.

http://stellarmatter.net/static.php?page=ewpart3

It should still be comaptible with your previous profiles, as I don't think I changed anything in game.txt.

Edit2: Update again. Fixed a CTD in the ending cutscene, to dissuade people from mailing me explosives. :oops:
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:43 pm

It's my thread, I can double post if I want to. :P

I've added a mini-faq to the first post of this thread with regards to some questions I've had about Part 3. It might be slightly spoilerrific in nature, so I've marked it as such, and have tried to put the questions in the order that one might come across them while playing the mod, for those that want to chance reading the first few if they get stuck playing.

You do not need to read the mini-faq to play the mod, I just put it up because there are some things in the mod that are a bit different than any other completed mods I've seen so far*, and some people have either posed the questions, or just not realized there was a question to begin with.

*(but to be fair, I haven't really played any new mods lately, for fear of seeing something duplicated in Part 3, and then not wanting to do it because it's been done before, if that makes any sense to anyone other than me).
michiel14
level1
level1

cool nice storyline mate

Postby michiel14 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:45 pm

i realy like this mod i was full excitement when i played part 2
and sorry if i say it but i used my modrights in the game to make the levels i cant complete easier to finish i hope it doesnt hurts
but anyway this is the best mod i have ever seen :shock:
Kromak_
level0

Postby Kromak_ » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:40 pm

Trickfred, I've played EW 3 twice, going different ways each time, but I didn't get the "long" ending...

Any hints for the third time? :)

I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say anything else, maybe we can talk through PMs?

Thanks!
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:44 pm

I recovered my long lost username... so if you plan on PM me, do it to this one please...

EDIT: Offtopic. Wow... I signed up the new one on the exact same date 4 years later... what are the odds of that? :P
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:22 am

Kromak wrote:I recovered my long lost username... so if you plan on PM me, do it to this one please...

EDIT: Offtopic. Wow... I signed up the new one on the exact same date 4 years later... what are the odds of that? :P

1 in 365?

NeoThermic
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:33 am

NeoThermic wrote:
1 in 365?

NeoThermic

More like 1 in 1461... pretty slim
There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

© 2002 Kromak
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 am

Kromak wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
1 in 365?

NeoThermic

More like 1 in 1461... pretty slim

How do you get that number?

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:35 am

Kromak twins: Did either of you happen to stumble across Promy?

As to where he got that number...

(365 x 4) + 1 = 1461

I guess the one's for a leap year? (I am not condoning the use, or even the conception of this number as anything considered valid, just explaining how I thought he derived it)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:47 am

trickfred wrote:Kromak twins: Did either of you happen to stumble across Promy?

As to where he got that number...

(365 x 4) + 1 = 1461

I guess the one's for a leap year? (I am not condoning the use, or even the conception of this number as anything considered valid, just explaining how I thought he derived it)

Yeah, I kind of figured that is how he got that number.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”