Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

OrR
level1
level1

Postby OrR » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:58 pm

Just thought nobody would notice the update if there was no post about it... Oh well... :roll:
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:02 pm

...No big deal - I wasn't worried about anyone noticing a very minor update - anyone who has played the mods already wouldn't care, anyone that hadn't yet would just click the link anyways, and again, probably not care. :D

...But since I'm here - I made minor updates to Part One and Two! And I'm seriously considering thinking about contemplating the process of planning to re-start Part Three. :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:33 pm

trickfred wrote:It's alright xander... we all know you're just trying to be the first one to get yourself up to 2000 posts. :D

BOW BEFORE ME, FOR I AM THE LORD OF SPAM!

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:50 pm

xander wrote:
trickfred wrote:It's alright xander... we all know you're just trying to be the first one to get yourself up to 2000 posts. :D

BOW BEFORE ME, FOR I AM THE LORD OF SPAM!

xander

There he goes! Somebody stop him, before he posts again!
bolletje
level0

Game crashes...

Postby bolletje » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:27 pm

I have a problem with EW2. I'm now in level "Prometheus". When I start the level everything is normal, but when Prometheus finished talking, my computer restarts. It's always after he tries to reprogram himself, then he says "error, eroorr...." and then my PC crashes and restarts.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Re: Game crashes...

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:37 pm

bolletje wrote:I have a problem with EW2. I'm now in level "Prometheus". When I start the level everything is normal, but when Prometheus finished talking, my computer restarts. It's always after he tries to reprogram himself, then he says "error, eroorr...." and then my PC crashes and restarts.
Sounds like it might be intentional
"ERROR" [CRASH]

j/k
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
bolletje
level0

Postby bolletje » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:43 pm

I thought that first, too. When it's intentional, Darwinia seems for me dangerous. The mod could also be like this: You finish the last level, and then your hard disk will be formated.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:19 am

Its not intentional, just in case anyone seriously thought it was.

What it is, I dont know. Can you post the blackbox.txt from your darwinia folder, if its there?
bolletje
level0

Postby bolletje » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 pm

No blackbox.txt has been created.

edit: Yeah, it was Hardware 3D, disabled it and then it worked for me, too.
Last edited by bolletje on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:17 pm

I saw this problem too, but only saw it after the upgrade from 1.21. to 1.3. Try disabling Hardware 3D, that solved it for me. As for what could be causing it (since it didn't happen before the 1.3 patch), I have no idea.
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:39 pm

The last level in part 1 is extremely hard and more based on luck. Sorry. :(
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 pm

Luck? Nope. Mad skillz FTW! :D
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:19 pm

trickfred wrote:...But since I'm here - I made minor updates to Part One and Two! And I'm seriously considering thinking about contemplating the process of planning to re-start Part Three. :D

So, have you planned to re-start Part Three yet? Or are you still contemplating?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:45 pm

(In case readers don't know, I had a hard drive crash a while back - I estimate I was 60% done EW3, and it was almost twice the size of part 2. I lost everything, new shapes, textures, etc, my design notes, and I was really bummed.)

Honestly? Taking a bit of a break from the IV scene right now- I finally managed to get the wife to play a computer/video game for more than 10 minutes (Guild Wars) - and it's an online game, so we can play together.

Plus, I was really hoping that by now, the game would have made a bit more mod-friendly, and not like pulling teeth to get things to work the way you want (how many man-hours went into Insurrection, xander?). Simple things like multiple Chat avatars (to create more robust dialogue), my earlier suggestion of being able to pause/suspend the application of research points, even making events more scriptable like turning on/off trunk ports and other buildings via a script command.

Now before someone spouts off and says Chris is only one guy and can only do so much, I know and completely understand that, and understand that they have different priorities than I do (Like the new WarGames-style game). That still doesn't change the fact that making a mod (as good as EW3 will have to be, to be better than the other two, and compete with all the new mods *coughinsurrectioncough*) is a long, hard process, and feels too much like work to me right now.

Currently I don't know when I'll get back to EW part 3.
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:46 am

trickfred wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that making a mod (as good as EW3 will have to be, to be better than the other two, and compete with all the new mods *coughinsurrectioncough*) is a long, hard process, and feels too much like work to me right now.

That's really sad to read. Granted, xander's Insurrection is excellent and probably the best so far, but EW1&2 are the only other mods that even came close to the same level of enjoyment for me. Creative levels, unique challenges, and a good overall story. There shouldn't be any implied competition to outdo other mods, as long as you can achieve the goal that was initially envisioned. I can't imagine any EW (or Darwinia) fan let down by something similar to the first two parts.

FWIW, I know where you're coming from regarding the loss of work. Back in the '80s, I lost the code to Frogger at 98% complete. (One backup survived at about the 60% level). It can take quite awhile to overcome such a loss and feel like working on the project again, but I can also say that completing the work that was lost is the only thing that truly heals the experience. One suggestion; don't try and recreate was was lost. There's two problems with that. One, is that you waste a lot of effort trying to remember how you did something. Two, is that it continually reminds you that this would have already been done had you not lost it. Both are poison to the creative process. Instead, just start over with the goal to create something fun and to resolve the story. The good stuff you had before will "come back" more naturally this way.

Return to “Mod Projects”