Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

nihilisthetics
level1
level1

Postby nihilisthetics » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:38 pm

LOL

Yes, get a few mods under your belt before you move onto the hard stuff ;)

Seriously, its a piece of cake - Draw a black and white image, save as RAW, run the converter and paste into the map file. Its still a guidegrid however you create it.

On the issue of having a case of 'the jaggies' (as I call them) guidegrids in general are affected by the noise parameters like any other tile so if you want them smooth, you can reduce the noise scale to zero.

N
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:59 pm

How do you save RAW files?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:11 pm

Right from the article:

Code: Select all

*   Photoshop. Open a new 8 bit greyscale image in Photoshop. Fill the image with black, and start creating your map. Where you want high mountains, use light grey. Where you want low depressions use dark grey. When finished, save the file in raw format.
    * Landscape modeller. I created the sample dem file above in Bryce which is fantastic for creating realistic landscapes. Once you have created the landscape, it is a bit of a hassle to convert it to an image file. I had to import/export from Bryce to GeoFract 2000 to Terragen and finally to Photoshop.You will probably find an easier way. There are loads of free / demo landscape modellers available on the web. Once its in Photoshop you can modify it as you like and save as raw format.
    * Web dems. There is a lot of topographical data on the web in elevation format for the earth and other planets. You can load them into Terragen and then export as raw files
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:19 pm

Tried to get a map to show the iron maiden logo, just about worked like, although it kinda starts off too far to the right and wraps itself onto the left hand side of the tile.
nihilisthetics
level1
level1

Postby nihilisthetics » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:48 pm

Send me the image file and the script output and Ill have a look :)

N
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:02 pm

I also had trouble getting the 'picture in level' technique to work - mostly because K's Vertoshop yakked under 3ds max 7 - the website says it only supports up to 5. Any idea if there's an anternative plugin/procedure?
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Its Ok, it was my bad, the image was 128x128 not 127x127 so everything got skewed. Fixed and looking sweet, will post a screenie later, but totally usless as a map.
dilettante
level1
level1

backdoor problem

Postby dilettante » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:39 pm

martin wrote:
trickfred wrote:?

You never need to move your squads off the hill to get to either tower - you're supposed to fight your way across the hill to the library, then the memcache towers.

If you're trying to get around the laser fence, there is a section with 2 small walls that you can squeeze between. You have to hit the gap straight on, or your guys bounce around in front of it.

No, I mean that the start control tower is situated so far down the cliff that I can't climb up. I have completed this level but I had to move the control tower to the top of the cliff to do it.

I had this same problem. Even if I place the squaddies right at the top of the cliff, half the time they can't make it the rest of the way. So how did you move the control tower?

Sorry if this has been posted, I did try search.
martin
level5
level5

Re: backdoor problem

Postby martin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:44 pm

dilettante wrote:
martin wrote:
trickfred wrote:?

You never need to move your squads off the hill to get to either tower - you're supposed to fight your way across the hill to the library, then the memcache towers.

If you're trying to get around the laser fence, there is a section with 2 small walls that you can squeeze between. You have to hit the gap straight on, or your guys bounce around in front of it.

No, I mean that the start control tower is situated so far down the cliff that I can't climb up. I have completed this level but I had to move the control tower to the top of the cliff to do it.

I had this same problem. Even if I place the squaddies right at the top of the cliff, half the time they can't make it the rest of the way. So how did you move the control tower?

Sorry if this has been posted, I did try search.

I pressed F3 on the main menu and modded the mod.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Sorry, bought a new motherboard, and it has *wiped* my hard drive - on the wife's box now, checking mail - once I'm back up and running, I'll see about moving it - what level of landscape detail are you having these problems on?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:07 pm

So you still have EW3? Any ideas on a release date?

At least IV make a guess at when they'll release.
OrR
level1
level1

Postby OrR » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:21 pm

So... Uh... This was updated September 29th? Why is there no post to go with it :?:
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:25 pm

...Because I updated the first post in the thread?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:48 pm

Edit == Update

One of the posts higher up was updated.

xander

EDIT: Again, I should not load the page, then wait half an hour to post...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:55 pm

xander wrote:Edit == Update

One of the posts higher up was updated.

xander

EDIT: Again, I should not load the page, then wait half an hour to post...

It's alright xander... we all know you're just trying to be the first one to get yourself up to 2000 posts. :D

Return to “Mod Projects”