Objective problems

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Maple
level1
level1

Objective problems

Postby Maple » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:36 pm

My mod is coming along nicely, level 1 complete thanks to Icepick's modding guide and help from the forum, but in physical form only so far. I've just had a fascinating hour reading about scripting, and now I'm having problems with objectives.

As my level is made up of a receiver network, I want to have one of the primary objectives to have at least a percentageof the soul collectors up and running, so I opened up the receiver mission file from the original game to see how it was done, only to find that this looked nothing like my mod file, but instead is in some other code.

Can anyone tell me a way of doing this, or point me to an earlier thread on the subject? or is the only way to get close to this to list all the building numbers in the 'BuildingOnline :Drift,16' mode?

Also my level doesn't save progress when you exit from playing it, can you tell me how I can make it save?

thanks all.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:41 pm

Hmm. Just hazarding a guess here - did you open up the receiver mission file from your profile?

What you want to do is rename main.dat to be main.rar, and extract it with am appropriate decompressor (eg winrar), and look at the original receiver mission.

The game uses redshirt2 encryption on the profile text files to stop people cheating - there's a whole thread about it in general.

edit - as for asves, make sure you start a new profile for your mod (ie, create a new profile with your mod active), hopefully it should save then.
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:08 pm

D'oh! Many thanks, will check general thread next time
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Ok still having issues with objectives. Have used the ones from Receiver level, changing the level name and building number, ie

BuildingOnline :drift,1 receiver_objective1 receiver_primary1.txt
BuildingOnline :drift,27 receiver_objective2 receiver_primary2.txt

This has the almost desired effect of listing 'Process 50 souls per minute' and 'Enable Biosphere trunk' as the two primary objectives, but of course my next level is not called biosphere; and alas how ever many souls I through put, the objective never completes. this could possibly have something to do with the building number on the first objective - I wouldn't have a clue what to change it to.

Also, has anyone any idea why a control tower attached to a trunk port belonging to the reds should appear in the game yellow, and will not activate the trunk port unless an enemy engineer comes along and fiddles with it?
bizarre.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:53 pm

game.txt overrides global building's settings - odds are the control tower is listed in your mod/profile's game.txt as being under team 2 control - best thing to do until you know what you want in your mod's game.txt is to delete all the building entries.

As for your never-completing objective, you might need to set the building in question to be global (whichever building ID 1 is, I would suppose)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:29 am

Thanks, will do as you say with the control tower.
As regards the objective, I've sorted out the souls per minute thing - I needed the building number to correspond to the soul processor.
Now if I could only get the second objective to read 'Regenerate trunk port' instead of 'Biosphere trunk port'.....
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:38 am

Maple wrote:Thanks, will do as you say with the control tower.
As regards the objective, I've sorted out the souls per minute thing - I needed the building number to correspond to the soul processor.
Now if I could only get the second objective to read 'Regenerate trunk port' instead of 'Biosphere trunk port'.....

You will need to creat a file called 'strings_default.txt' in your mod directory. However, custom strings are not supported in version 1.0. You will have to wait until the patch comes out. Otherwise, you can change the name of 'main.dat' to 'main.rar', uncompress it, and replace the file 'english.txt'.

xander
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Sun May 01, 2005 9:38 pm

testing my level by creating a new profile while the mod is loaded worked fine until recently, when for some reason Darwinia crashes once you try to create a new profile. Anyone have a clue while it's started doing this? the blackbox says

=========================
DARWINIA BLACK BOX REPORT

VERSION : win32-full-v1.0
ERROR : 'Invalid level specified'

====== STACKTRACE =======

retAddress = 0041DC45
retAddress = 0049CB00
retAddress = 0049E54B
retAddress = 0049F3E2
retAddress = 0049F1D1
retAddress = 004A66A6
retAddress = 00423308
retAddress = 004B8E26
retAddress = 77E8141A
retAddress = 00000000

Much appreciated for any help available.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Mon May 02, 2005 7:18 am

Maple wrote:testing my level by creating a new profile while the mod is loaded worked fine until recently, when for some reason Darwinia crashes once you try to create a new profile. Anyone have a clue while it's started doing this? the blackbox says

DARWINIA BLACK BOX REPORT

VERSION : win32-full-v1.0
ERROR : 'Invalid level specified'

====== STACKTRACE =======

retAddress = 0041DC45
retAddress = 0049CB00
retAddress = 0049E54B
retAddress = 0049F3E2
retAddress = 0049F1D1
retAddress = 004A66A6
retAddress = 00423308
retAddress = 004B8E26
retAddress = 77E8141A
retAddress = 00000000

Much appreciated for any help available.

This is unknown bug, but I've founded a bugfix:
1. Unload mod
2. Change profile
3. Load mod again...
4. ...and: got you the same error(if this bugfix not works, sorry: I've made it for some 5 seconds :))??

And for future: phpBB tags are your friends. Use them. You should use Code tag when writing about things like blackbox.
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Mon May 02, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks Dr4gon - at least it doesn't crash that way anymore, but it still fails to save, whatever new profile I create. Either that or the game will crash, and when I reboot and load the mod again, there is only one space in task manager, and all research but squad has dissapeared.

As for code and tags, I have just discovered them - will try to use them in future.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 am

Maple wrote:[...] when I reboot and load the mod again, there is only one space in task manager, and all research but squad has dissapeared.

Disappearing squads aren't a bug(maybe). Maybe, because IV wanted to make the game harder. As you can see, you are not selecting the slot where and when you wanna(like in FarCry: there is an autosave, in setted up places on the location). You are simply save when you are exiting the location.
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Tue May 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Disappearing squads aren't a bug(maybe). Maybe, because IV wanted to make the game harder.

What I was meaning is that when it crashes and I reboot and reload, all the different researches (engineer, officer, grenade etc) have disappeared, and the only thing you can create is squad. I know that when you come back to a game, squads and engineers are not there, but I'm not worried about that.

As you can see, you are not selecting the slot where and when you wanna(like in FarCry: there is an autosave, in setted up places on the location). You are simply save when you are exiting the location

I realise that you don't save yourself but that it should autosave, but it doesn't do that on my level whatever profile I'm in, although it used to.
Also, by slot I was meaning the task manager slots where active programs (armour, squad etc) are saved.
Maple
level1
level1

Postby Maple » Tue May 03, 2005 11:49 pm

I've just experimented with taking the intro script away, which starts up as soon as a new profile is created. I thought this might be the problem as the game seems to have started crashing since the script was created. Unfortunately it still crashes, so at least that's one thing ruled out.

Return to “Mod Projects”