New units/models possible?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:21 pm

I lack technical knowledge in terms of C or C++. I couldn't write a DLL/SO if I wanted to (I don't even really know what they are). I do have a question about them, though -- are they platform independent? It seems to me that if you forced modders to write copiled code to make mods work, a fair chunk of the gaming community would not be able to play those mods (i.e. Mac users would not be able to play Windows mods, Windows users could not play Linux mods). One of my problems with Uplink (which I think is a great game, don't get me wrong) is that a lot of the mods are not playable on the Mac (Onlink, for instance, though it seems there will be a port).

In the case of Uplink, it makes sense that modding should be more difficult. You are pretending to be a |337 h4X0r in the game, and much of the game experience comes from out of game activities (i.e. the original redshirt and the gamebible passwords -- wish I had the acumen to figure those out...).

In the case of darwinia, I think that modding should not be such a technical challenge. It should be more open, as the game is not really directed at the same kind of niche that Uplink was. There seems to be a kind of trade-off -- on the one hand you accessiblility (i.e. scripting), on the other you have expandability (i.e. C, C++). I, personally, would prefer to see a more accessibly modding system. It may not have the power of compiled code, but it gives more people the opportunity to fiddle with things.

Just my $0.02.

xander
piratebob
level2
level2

Postby piratebob » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:32 pm

I'll cry pardon if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't it be possible to create a mod that expanded the mod funtionality?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:50 pm

piratebob wrote:I'll cry pardon if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't it be possible to create a mod that expanded the mod funtionality?
Possibly, but I think it would have to be a Dev Mod, and there is no DevCD for Darwinia right now. Introversion themselves could be able to create one.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:37 pm

xander wrote:I lack technical knowledge in terms of C or C++. I couldn't write a DLL/SO if I wanted to (I don't even really know what they are). I do have a question about them, though -- are they platform independent? It seems to me that if you forced modders to write copiled code to make mods work, a fair chunk of the gaming community would not be able to play those mods (i.e. Mac users would not be able to play Windows mods, Windows users could not play Linux mods). One of my problems with Uplink (which I think is a great game, don't get me wrong) is that a lot of the mods are not playable on the Mac (Onlink, for instance, though it seems there will be a port).

In the case of Uplink, it makes sense that modding should be more difficult. You are pretending to be a |337 h4X0r in the game, and much of the game experience comes from out of game activities (i.e. the original redshirt and the gamebible passwords -- wish I had the acumen to figure those out...).

In the case of darwinia, I think that modding should not be such a technical challenge. It should be more open, as the game is not really directed at the same kind of niche that Uplink was. There seems to be a kind of trade-off -- on the one hand you accessiblility (i.e. scripting), on the other you have expandability (i.e. C, C++). I, personally, would prefer to see a more accessibly modding system. It may not have the power of compiled code, but it gives more people the opportunity to fiddle with things.

Just my $0.02.

xander
Posix compliant code will compile on both Mac and GNU/Linux.

Code can be written such that it will compile on all three platforms (Mac, GNU/Linux, Windows)

Scripting is too slow to be worth using for anything complex, especially AI.

And not directed directly at yourself, so don't take offense:

I HAVE STATED A MILLION TIMES, SCRIPTING CAN BE IMPLEMENTED BY DLL/SO PLUGINS, CHRIST! THE TWO ARE NOT -ING MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE! THIS HAS BEEN IGNORED EVERY TIME I HAVE STATED IT. THIS IS FRUSTERATING!

Like I said, this isn't directed any anybody specifically, so nobody take offense. Just needed to get that off my chest, and make it glaringly obvious.
Mike_box
level1
level1

Postby Mike_box » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:57 am

I was listening, and I'd be happy with either or both.

The one thing that is clear from this discussion is that IV needs to cowboy-up and give us the Dev tools we need to make a mod that's more than a new map and a few graphical tweaks.

Without a real modding community this game won't last long, and without the tools we need we cant do anything about it, (willing as you all might be). :cry:
Hendar23
level1
level1

Postby Hendar23 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:22 pm

Jackmn wrote:
I HAVE STATED A MILLION TIMES, SCRIPTING CAN BE IMPLEMENTED BY DLL/SO PLUGINS, CHRIST! THE TWO ARE NOT -ING MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE! THIS HAS BEEN IGNORED EVERY TIME I HAVE STATED IT. THIS IS FRUSTERATING!

I was just gonna say that. :D
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Hendar23

Return to “Mod Projects”