Stricken Souls [1.3 finally done - man I'm lazy!]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:36 am

WOW! I basically finished the game, but it froze in at the end of Temple_Again. Triffid eggs were flying, and my framerate dropped to less than 1. I tried to summon a menu for a minute or two before I gave up and did the Mac equivalent of [ctrl]+[alt]+[del]. Damn you, The GoldFish, DAMN YOU!

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:13 am

Wait, so, does that mean you don't have the real final level unlocked and won't ever get to fight the end of game boss?

Can you still redo temple_again, or has some scripting kicked in and disabled it?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:21 am

No scripting has kicked in... I just can't finish the mod in the current state of Darwinia / evil triffids of doom. Maybe the patch will fix it a bit. I may also just turn the triffids down a bit so that I can get through it. Seriously, it was amazing... I have never seen so many eggs. It was like a Mexican Jumping Bean fiesta. Wow! You are an evil, evil man.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:32 am

Well, it was the best way I could think to distract the huge army - is it really too intensive, because I could tone it down a little...

The idea is that it distracts the huuuge army long enough to leg it through - maybe only about, 20 seconds.

If it just can't be done right now you're probably best editing them out, yeah, heh, I wouldn't want to try and get through without the egg distraction, hehe.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:12 am

Temple_again gave me no problem. Did you stop to fight or just rush through?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:39 am

OK, well, I'm currently sitting on version 0.9.7 pending any bugs, which includes a lovey outro because really there wasn't one - however this new outro means that 0.9.6 profiles will crash when it plays (naturally there's a fix file for it)

Here's the changelog so far;

- Used version 1.2's new text strings and fiddled some graphics to add depth to interface. (heh)
- Did some minor reworks in the strings file, just to try and cut down on some waffle and fill some plot holes.
= Added a PLOT text file, which reiterates the majority of the core plot for those unsure of it.
= Made a nice mushy outro! If you've already completed the game, look around for Secret, and go there, that should make it run the bit you missed. However it'll also crash, so use the fixed game.txt file in fixes instead, really this is so 0.9.7 people can watch the outro at will :P
- Added some lights to wusscaves by bastardising incubators.
- Made some objectives uncompletable, as sometimes they were completing without the scripts for advancement activating, making progression impossible as you couldn't reset the mission.
- Noted that there wasn't actually an objective for temple again, and added one.
- Slighly reduced the amount of spiders gaurding the god dish to try and help performance at this point
- Put the names of all the hackbodge levels I've used on the unused Central_Forum trunk ports as a credit to them.
- Ran the strings file through word and crushed ohhh so many typos!
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:20 pm

what do you do on the temple level?
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:44 pm

I just finished a the mod and it's great. very hard 2.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:14 pm

Tortanick: As you may or may not have figured out by this time, I am on a Mac. For some reason, the code on the Mac is a bit... slow... at times. In the scenario that is shipped with the game, Temple barely exceedes 5 FPS on my laptop. I managed to get the squaddie about halfway across the island before it bogged down so much that it took two seconds for the camera to move. It is no bit deal... I can simply edit the triffids down a bit, or maybe I will have the objectives autocomplete so that I can see the ending... after fighting through all those spiders on the second island, I am not about to go through the level again.

At any rate, you have done a great thing, The GoldFish. I am in awe.

xander
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:17 pm

I didn't know macs were slower. As for me, how do you fight revlivation? HELP! ;)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:49 pm

You use 1337 skillz. Also, it's a good thing there's nothing you coud spoil in my mod, eh? ¬_¬

Also, the temple objective doesn't matter - advancement on the level is script triggered. (I prefer this on the auto-exit levels, as it means if you replay them later it still works)

I'm not quite sure *why* you're fighting any spiders in the first place, frankly :P

The triffids are firing eggs on your side, providing a distraction to the huge army so they don't eat you - if you want to make it less choppy I'd advise getting rid of the army, not just the triffids :P

Apparently, congratulations should go to jaysc.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:46 am

The GoldFish wrote:Apparently, congratulations should go to jaysc.

Indeed. Congrats jaysc. By the way, I edited things down a bit. Finished the mod. Thanks, TGF. You have done a good thing.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:37 am

OK Guys and Gals, this is it

Stricken Souls 0.9.7 (out of date)

If no one finds any major bugs in 0.9.7, I'll submit it to thenextgame and consider my work virtually complete, hehe.

For those of you who have completed it, check the readme (and update your text strings file), and nab the watchoutro.txt to replace your game.txt to watch the new mushy outro.

Edit - good thing I uploaded this when I did, really - My PC broke when I carted it all the way back to university :cry:

edit2 - I've updated the readme in this archive now (thanks to eventualyl finding the software to do it on the college PCs I'm having to use atm), and I've submitted it to Ice's site, http://thenextgame.co.uk - hopefully it'll feature soon!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed May 04, 2005 1:19 pm

Mmk, as part of my work avoidance strategy, I did a few small tweaks to Stricken, and fixed a couple of bugs I came across while playing it again.

This makes the version on thenextgame.co.uk out of date - I'll be contacting Icepick to update it.

Either way, Stricken 0.9.8

0.9.8 - A few finishing touches... and stupid bug fixes I didn't notice before.

- Added a few lights here and there
- Tried to fix an issue in Ghost_Capital where a primary objective would immidietly complete, stopping the player from resetting the level if they died (I removed the thing completely in the end - it now advances via script only)
- You now only get access to Armour v3 in Ghost Capital, a painful decision... hopefully the new string changes will make people understand/not realise
- Removed a random extra squadie on Temple Again, sorry guys, no more easy level for you!
- Moved the cam position in the Valhalla since it was in the old start position.
- Changed the Slipway music because it was stupid.
- Tweaked some more interface strings.
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Wed May 04, 2005 10:00 pm

I liked the slipway music :(

And I can't enter my wusscave anymore. Whats the deal?

Return to “Mod Projects”