Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat May 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Yeah uh, that's not exactly what's supposed to happen! :P

I should perhaps draw your attention to this line:

"There's... a lot of fortification, I think my best chance is to just run through."

How long exactly were you watching? Really, I didn't intend for the player to try and invade the island, you should be running Striker through it lickety split - about, 10, 20 seconds. I had to leave it going quite a while before it even resembled the first image.

What I've done now is changed what triffids spawn, so that ubermess won't be so uber.

Edit, oh, and I run a 3Ghz intel with a 5900XT, so it was very easy for me to overdo stuff :o
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
roBurky
level1
level1

Postby roBurky » Sat May 07, 2005 8:17 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Did you download the patch at the same time too?

If it's not that, I certainly need more informaiton before I can help.

I had downloaded the patch a few days earlier, and been continuing my second playthrough of the main game happilly, pleased with the additions, and noticing a generally better performance.

When I click on 'recycler', however, it goes to a black screen and the standard windows "There was a problem with this application and it needs to close" kind of error message appears, with the option to upload data to microsoft.

I'm not sure what other information I can give. Does Darwinia have a debug file that might say where it went wrong?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat May 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Darwinia only creates a debug output file when it can handle the error (which by the sounds of things it can't)

Hmm, I can't for the life of me think what would be causing an error like this in the first level. I do know that very quickly skipping the scripts can cause a crash, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that, if you'd extracted the files wrong, then you'd probably get a darwinia handled exception.

Only thing I can think of is trying going to the editor and going to recycler, and see if that crashes too.

I still can't think how it would cause an instant death crash like this on one PC and (so far) no others though.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
roBurky
level1
level1

Postby roBurky » Sun May 08, 2005 6:59 pm

Right. How do I get to the editor, then?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun May 08, 2005 7:35 pm

F3 toggles the editor (once you've completed the game etc)

This should present you with map names and mission file names for all the levels (most of them should be map_[mission].txt and null)

There should be map_recycler.txt and mission_recycler_firsttime.txt underneath the recycler marker - should look like this

Simply click on the recycler marker, and you should be presented with this view.

If this crashes, I really have no idea what the problem could be.

If it doesn't crash, it could be the intro scripts, try going to game.txt (in the mod directory), and changing the line;
0 1 map_recycler.txt mission_recycler_firsttime.txt
to be
0 1 map_recycler.txt mission_recycler.txt

(& make a fresh profile)

If this doesn't help either, try loading up the access_all_areas profile, and click on the 2nd mission, and see if that too crashes the game.
roBurky
level1
level1

Postby roBurky » Mon May 09, 2005 8:56 am

Loading it in the editor gained a screen of the level like your screenshot, but it then crashed again.

Loading any level using access_all_areas crashes the game as well.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue May 10, 2005 7:42 pm

Hmm.

That is dire. I'm afraid I really have no idea how this could be happening, so far as I know you're the only person it happens to.

Could you confirm that it is specifically this mod that causes your Darwinia to crash out completely - try checking the Enemy Within mod for a similar problem.

(Also, load up my mod again and try the level called Darlington with AAA, as there is no squadie in this level, might hint at the problem)

Then, try deleting all the replacement content, starting with the Icons, sprites and sounds directories, the contents of \shapes\ except for;

baddiemark.shp
goodiemark.shp
constructionyardbits.shp
goddishshell.shp
normalsquad.shp (as deleting these will make Darwinia complain)

If still no joy, delete the scripts folder, as well as the strings_default and stats files.

If the game still crashes for my mod, I really don't know how or why it would be doing so.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri May 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Got bored, did this

Stricken 1.0 <-- Rar (867k)

Stricken 1.0 <-- Zip (1.2Meg)

It's like huge now, because of slightly tweaked world map colours. That pretty much doubles the archive size. Sucks!

1.0 - Woo, hopefully I'll never have to work/play/look at my mod ever again!

- Updated lots of graphics;
Striker UI Pics
Harlequins are now BLUE (as originally intended, yay, thanks to trickfred whom I stole the method off)
However, so are Trunk Ports, the Soul repository is aqua, and shadows are now evil red. I don't mind though
World map has eary blue tint now
Valhalla has new lighting to reflect new Repository colour
New Muzzelflash graphic
New Sky reflecting new earie blue tint
- Removed all 'Hey Chris!' references, cause it's obvious he's not listening :P
- Changed lots of water to be water_doom (the triangle water) - I was just too lazy before, all rim areas should have it, but I've decided ghost_capital should keep it's red water since it makes it look menacing
- Changed a few water colours
- Changed starting camera position and Sparky position in Darlington, since it was annoying to see him most of the time
- Fixed Gladiator scripting without triffids
- Moved all Triffids/Anthills/Incubators out of map files

I think that's pretty much it.

Right, off to bed with me!
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 13, 2005 3:50 pm

When you get up, you may wanna double check Darlington; I reprogrammed the Tower, but the level objective didn't complete. Twice.

Check your PMs, I have an easy solution to fix the problem.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri May 13, 2005 9:48 pm

Quite right - the solution you PMed me won't quite work, because it would mean everyone would need to start a new profile, which isn't very nice :P

However, with a small spin on the theme, and it appears to work fine fine now - I have sneakily updated the archives with no version change so this problem isn't there in them - bad practice but I don't care.

If you're before/at darlington, do this - hopefully it'll work, I'm not sure what will happen if you've already completed the level, if you have already completed it and it broke, I would suggest skipping the level with the replacement game.txt below.

1) Delete mission_darlington from your profile if you have one, else it'll crash horribly.
2) Overwrite these two files in the mod\levels directory - map and mission

Do the level (much pain for you I'm sure) - or replace your game.txt with this to skip it.

Cheers for pointing it out, sodding dynamic breaking my levels :(

Anywho, hopefully that's the only major thing.
roBurky
level1
level1

Postby roBurky » Fri May 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Ok, it does it for Enemy Within as well.
Edit: In fact, it's doing it when I try to play the normal game.

Umm. This isn't good. It was working before...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 13, 2005 10:33 pm

TFG: Whatever works, as long as you've fixed it. And thanks for the mention above, the new additions look good. :)

RoBurky - Are you sure you've created a new profile each time you try to run a different mod?

Try this:
1] Open the directory where you have the game installed. Go into the Users directory.

2] Create a new directory, call it whatever, but remember what it was [I recommend Crash].

3] Go back to the game directory, open preferences.txt, go to the bottom, and change the line that says "UserProfile = NewUser" or whatever your old profile is, to "UserProfile = Crash" or whatever the new directory you created in 'Users' was. Save it.

4] Execute the game. Load the Mod. Shut the game off. Run the game again. Click on the first map.

If it still crashes, then you have mystical gremlins in your computer. Or maybe you didn't patch the game properly?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat May 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Then I'm tempted to suggest you poke around your profile and change the line;

RenderLandscapemode = (some number)

to equal either 0 or 1, assuming it's presant and set to 2 - this might solve the issue.

trickfred; Yeah, well, I'd be happier if I could just change the lighting on the world map, instead, the whole mod is twice as big as usual because I've had to include the world map again with a slightly blue tint - they account for over half of the actual game's data file.
Redemption042
level1
level1

Feel stupid for asking...

Postby Redemption042 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:56 am

But where do you install the mod for linux.

I have the mod in ~/.darwinia/full/mods/StrickenSouls and darwnia recognizes the mod, but crashes when I try to start it because it can't find data/shapes/goodiesomething or other... I have no data directory in ~/.darwinia/full/mods nor do I have a data directory in /usr/local/games/darwinia.

I've tried copying the shapes directory into a data directory that I create both in ~/.darwinia/full/mods/StrickenSouls as well as in /usr/local/games/darwinia. Yet, the game continues to crash complaining about this missing file.

My apologies if this is covered somewhere else.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon May 16, 2005 1:13 am

I don't run the game on linux, but I imagine you could try creating your own mod, call it 'locationtest' or something, then search for where the game puts it. Then you'd know where to put mods downloaded from the 'net.

Edit: I'm assuming you have completed the game at least once, and have unlocked the Mod Editor.

Return to “Mod Projects”