Stricken Souls [1.3 finally done - man I'm lazy!]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Dru Lee Parsec
level1
level1

Postby Dru Lee Parsec » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:58 pm

It looks beautiful. Can't wait to play it. Also, the story line is similar to the story line I wrote for my mod idea. Unfortunatly, I've had absolutly no time to build the mod.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:35 pm

OK, well, the story line has changed quite a bit, so, go figure.

The tweakes really, are for convenience. You could just rename SStexts6.txt to english.txt, and restart darwinia once you've loaded the mod.

Really it's your call :P

Edit - known issues; STILL a problem with the epitome mission setting - deleting Recycler_Outro.txt from your scripts folder should fix this if it continues to be a problem. Fixed in 0.9.6hot1!

0.9.6 hotfix 1 <---- now out of date!

Just extract the contents of this over the top of the mod dir. Your existing profile should now work, even if you had the bugged epitome mission name set.
Last edited by The GoldFish on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:30 am

The intro text still doens't come up, no mater what I do.
Maniack
level1
level1

Postby Maniack » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:23 am

Hmm... so, if I just download the mod, but don't do file replacing or anything, just installing the /SS or whatever directory in the "mods" directory, I'll just see ants instead of ghosts. Am I right?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:24 am

For version 1.0, if you don't do the SStexts#.txt hack, the mod will crash on start. In the patched version of the game (which is still in beta), the strings_default.txt file in the directory is used instead, thus this is not required. So, if you don't do this, it won't work at all.

If you don't change your mod line in preferences while you're there, you'll want to restart Darwinia once you've activated the mod, simply so that the mod is active when it starts - this is the only time shape etc files are loaded from dirs, mod or otherwise - it should still function if you don't and you'd see ants instead of ghosts and a hell of alot of stuff will look very wrong (I steal building effects). If you don't do this, I'm pretty sure all the sprites/models etc will appear like those in the original game. All the model replacing functions from the mod directory and no further user intervention is required for functionality. So you don't need to do anything here anyway.

The firsttime bootloader simply tells you that it is set around 5 years into the future. So you miss out on teh 1337 musack.

This mod works like any other mod, except for the requirement of the SStexts#.txt (and Gestures.txt) file, and should be extracted to \mods\StrickenSouls0.9.6\

I understand it is very inconvinient to make this mod work with 1.0 - hopefully all of the file hacking will be unneccessery when v1.2 of Darwinia is released, so you might like to wait until then. This 1.0 compatibility solution is to let those people prepared to get it to work have a stab and hopefully help with picking up bugs. (notably those for mac, where there is no beta patch yet)

mindule; I'm not sure where you're having a problem, mainly cause there are so many things that can be wrong. Can you be any more specific of what and where you're experiencing a problem?
Maniack
level1
level1

Postby Maniack » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:38 am

Actually, I didn't do any file replacing at all, but the ghosts, black spiders, starry virii, and floating black heads still show up. And beautifully.

The architecture is beautiful, and Slipway or whatever the name was - fantastic. My squaddie was so high up on the mountain, if I chucked a grenade at the ground below it'd explode before it reached the ground. :P

One little issue though: Claymore has gotten pretty laggy, taking away from the playing experience. So, not good.

One last question before I finally shut up: Which ghosts attack you? I've seen green "ghost hills" and red "ghost hills", and there doesn't seem to be much difference. Other than, the fact that I was only first attacked by a ghost in Claymore, the first level with red ghost hills.

Pretty much, I've been blowing up both kinds of ghost hills. If it moves, and it isn't me, KILL IT! Kill the Triffids as I go along.

Finally, great mod, I know I'd never be able to come up with anything as great as this mod is. :shock: :D
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:46 am

The error seems to be in two parts, but occurs whenever there is a text screen, when the hooded think is talking. When I'm in world view, there is no text at all. When I'm actually on a level, it says "Error: (filename) not found"
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:14 am

As I say, all the monster models are automatically loaded if the mod is active at start up - you don't need to do anything special for them.

I would put some like, team colours on them but I can't. Anyway, those Nonagonians to whom you're refering, are currently more obsessed with souls than you, but those red base inhabbiters might have a go at you if they've nothing better to do. In theory, the green based ones are good guys.

mindule; sounds interesting - I've played with a few 'things that could be done wrong' and I can't work out what could be that's a problem for you - I've tried not creating a new profile, putting the wrong name in for the language file, using a profile from the normal game - I just can't make this happen.

If you hack your prefs file to have exactly these things in, it should work - the userprofile is there simply because that'll make sure it'll create a new profile.

Code: Select all

TextLanguage = sstexts7
BootLoader = firstime
Mod = StrickenSouls0.9.7
UserProfile = StrickenUser

If you actually have the name of the file it couldn't open, that'd probably help me alot.

Also, triffids are a scripters best friend, don't you dare killed them >:O (if you do you'll probably break the game, hehe)

edit - 0.9.7ified
Last edited by The GoldFish on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:27 am

I've afraid this still doesn't work. I looked into the files for a bit, and I found that the Recycler_Intro .txt file can't find the strings_default.txt file.
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Found a bug :(

I just finished gladiator (after darlington) but when I went back to the map the only active level is gladiator. It say i've won on the objectives screen and there is no reset avalable.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:53 pm

Meaning that, Gladiator's objective completed but something didn't make it progress?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Maniack
level1
level1

Postby Maniack » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:03 pm

Uh, just reached Ghost Capital. What am I supposed to do? I see it's like Biosphere in that there's a huge Green vs. Red battle going on. I tried moving my Squaddie to the Darlington port, it didn't do anything.

Then, I tried helping the Greens. Without Officers, I was just using armour and depositing Greens near the unmanned Spawn Points, not to mention converting the armour to a Battle Cannon. Little success.

Am I doing the right thing by fighting the reds? Because, obviously, with the not having the objective text, I have no way of knowing what I'm supposed to be doing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:37 pm

Tortanick; what I *think* may have happened is the help text for the trunk port got in the way of the script that advances the level - I'll mix you up a game.txt which sets you straight; try this. My apologies for interupting your play session :P

What I'll do for 0.9.7 is make the objective uncompletable (like quite a few of the other objectives...) - there's a script trigger over the objective that does the work (because I hate game.txt for the 2 part missions)

A point to all is that Retribution and Gladiator autoexit, so wait for that.

Maniack; What, are you saying the objective texts for ghost_capital are broken? Or is this somehow linked to your disinterest in actually following the whole, 1.0 compatibility?

Anyway, the objectives are to hold the 'fort' for 10 minutes (when the number in the objective screen reads 10), and then stand by the satallite relay.

Attempting to take over the spawn points would likely leave you hideously undefended, my advice is don't try :P
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:43 pm

I must say that ghost capital is a great level :D

"What you can't just borrow the yard"

I'm a bit confused as to the plot.

I didn't get the origin story of either the ghosiwans or the ant thingies. Also it says the ghostiwans refuse to bear arms yet in the capital they were manning armour and you go to get data to give them weapons I think.

I'll try the game.txt after dinner. Edit, works fine but I can't defeat relivation :( he is one tough beast
Maniack
level1
level1

Postby Maniack » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Yeah, the whole dang thing fell apart.

So, I guess I'll just install the darn SStexts then.

Return to “Mod Projects”