GainGround [MP-Mod]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Starfyre
level5
level5

GainGround [MP-Mod]

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:08 pm

The premise of the GainGround mod (title stolen from an old Sega Megadrive game) is to provide a territorial multiplayer wargame. This mod will be working in full as soon as Multiplayer is implemented and is designed for 2 players, but can be expanded for up to 4.

The Playing Field
Each player starts out on opposite corners of a checkerbox-like set of islands. The size of each of those islands is the same; they are all separated by water wide enough so Squads and Darwinians cannot easily cross.

The field is, for 2 players, 5x5, summing up to 25 square "islands" in total.
The starting island for each player features a trunk port and a Radar Dish, which allows the player to travel to the nearby island squares.

On the other islands reside either captureable buildings or (if this is technically possbile), research items, both guarded by viral infections. The setup is symmetrical, so the distance to all items is the same for each player.

The Goal
Capture as many research items and buildings as you can, expand with haste and gain superiority over your opponent. Note that whoever holds certain research items or buildings has not automatically won the game; there are severa approaches as to ensure victory.

The ultimate goal is reached when you are able to invade the enemy starting island and capture their trunk port control tower. It is, of course, vital that you secure your radar dishes once you capture them, since they are the only method of supply and transport between the islands (if you count out Armor units, which will be hard to obtain, and only in the later game progress).

The virii keep "rush" players from nabbing all the good stuff from start, and each start island is secured well enough to prevent an engineer & squad rush from capturing the trunkport and winning the game seconds after it started.

Crappy concept sketch:

Better one to come soon :roll:

Screenshots:
To come!

Download:
None yet.

Comments, ideas, suggestions?
Post them here!
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:46 pm

i can definitely see myself playin this mod; itd be a mad dash to obtain whatever possible and attack the enemy base, while still defending yourself against the other player and the virii and centipedes.
i can picture myself about to attack, only to get obliterated by a centipede coming out of the water....
Darksun
level5
level5

Oh my god

Postby Darksun » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:55 am

There's a guest posting ability? :|

Or was the user for some reason deleted?
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Re: GainGround [MP-Mod]

Postby LLamaBoy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:36 am

Starfyre wrote:This mod will be working in full as soon as Multiplayer is implemented and is designed for 2 players, but can be expanded for up to 4.

So the answer is... not yet!

Also, sounds very interesting, Starfyre. Reminds me a bit of Sacrifice, if anyone's played that?
Who knows, IV might snatch up your idea for their own implementation... better prepare the royalty demands :P
Kamakazie
level0

Postby Kamakazie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:39 pm

Definitely remniscent of Sacrifice or MS Urban Assault
Darwin00uk
level2
level2

Postby Darwin00uk » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:23 am

This could be fun.

Return to “Mod Projects”