[Solved] Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 libgmodule-1.2.so.0: cannot open

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

BadSquishy
level0

Postby BadSquishy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:50 am

I am trying to install Darwinia on my new machine, running Ubuntu 10.04

First problem, when I bought the game I only purchased a download, I have a file called darwinia-complete-1.2.1b.sh

Looking online there is a newer version 1.3.0 patch, but it requires the game CD, which I don't have.

I have followed a guide for installing I found here up to the point where it says to put in the disc and run the 1.3.0 installer, instead I am running my 1.2.1b file.

The install crashes with the following error: /home/pico/.setup8989: error while loading shared libraries: libgmodule-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Not surprising, I look in /usr/lib32 and I have libgmodule-2.0.so.0 instead of 1.2

So, does version 1.3.0 work with libgmodule-2.0.so.0 and am I being punished by Introversion for purchasing the download instead of the physical media? Nowhere did the website ever say the download would have inferior support from the developer. Can anybody help me out?

BadSquishy
Last edited by BadSquishy on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 am

You'd have the same problems with the CD version, so no, you were not punished. It's just an old game linked against old versions of libraries, and you need to get and install said old libraries. For that one library, you need to download this and install it with

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i libglib1.2ldbl_1.2.10-19build1_i386.deb
BadSquishy
level0

Postby BadSquishy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the tip bert_the_turtle.

The guide I was following had me install the package libglib1.2-dbg which is a debug version of libglib so the libraries were put in the folder /usr/lib32/debug/usr/lib instead of just /usr/lib32. The package you pointed me to installed the file into the correct folder.

Once I confirmed the file was in the correct folder I ran the installer

sudo sh darwinia-complete-1.2.1b.sh

The game installer ran properly at this point. After installation I tried to run the game and got an error similar to the following:

./lib/darwinia.bin.x86: ./lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6)

So I ran the final command in the guide

sudo cp -r /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/local/games/darwinia/lib

Which corrects the "version `GCC_4.2.0' not found" error.
I am pretty sure this error could also be corrected by just deleting/moving/renaming the file /usr/local/games/darwinia/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

While I must admit I am not "being punished" for purchasing the download instead of the CD, I have received slightly inferior service because I have no way of installing version 1.3, or patching my installed game. The game appears to work mostly. It is my recollection that the Dr. guy who helps out actually spoke, in addition to the text on the screen. Currently there is no voice, just the text on the screen. Am I just remembering incorrectly?
Thanks,

BadSquishy
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 pm

I think you're just remembering that incorrectly. He's neither speaking in the Windows/Steam nor XBox version.

Return to “Linux Issues”