Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

arwin
level1
level1

TIP: Improve game experience on Linux

Postby arwin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi

I found out that if I have all the necessary libraries installed, vorbis, SDL, etc... then moving all the lib files in lib directory of darwinia (NOTE! not all the files only those starting with the name lib) to an oldlib directory improved the game experience.

So what I did was in my Ubuntu Hardy:

go to you darwinia directory
then:

cd lib
mkdir oldlib
mv lib* oldlib/

if the game doesn't start try install

apt-get install libvorbisfile3 libogg0 libvorbis0a libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsdl1.2debian

if you don't use Ubuntu or Debian you have to look in your repository for similar libraries that contains the files you just moved.

When I did this I could return from the game to my desktop without a hitch.

If on the other hand this is not working for you simply move the lib files back from the oldlib directory to the lib directory.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:32 am

I'm not certain, but this sounds like a symptom of a dual-arch setup -- i.e. the way they have to maintain separate versions of libs for 32b and 64b apps. Older distros had probs with keeping the load paths straight and the lib names consistent. I thought that had been solved years ago -- 64b is several years old now -- but maybe something happened?

Are you (and others with probs this solves) running in 32b or 64b mode linux?

You should *never* have to manually move libraries under linux. That goes against The Rules big time! Updating your PATH vars might be a better way, but your package system should be maintaining that if it needs modification.

If it works it works... but I just saying something's wrong if this is what makes things work.
arwin
level1
level1

Postby arwin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

Hi
I'm running on a 5 year old computer so 32-bit. I didn't have problems running darwinia with the supplied libraries except for the gcc library problem that is known here on the forum. As moving that library (that comes in the darwinia game) solved the problem, I thought what about moving all the libs that darwinia comes with and use newer libraries. And this worked. Actually better because I had some problems returning to the correct resolution in X when I was playing the 1.2.1 version of the game that I bought.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am

briceman2 wrote:You should *never* have to manually move libraries under linux.
Depends :) Applications also shouldn't include their own versions of perfectly well available libraries (Although there are several possible reasons why one would do so anyway), and all he's doing with his library moving is to correct that by moving the libs provided by IV out of the way, which makes the system provided libraries used instead, which are newer and may have a relevant bug or two fixed.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:48 pm

uhhh, OOPS? yeah oops.

sorry, I didn't read closely enough to see which direction things were moving. yeah, if IV is still vending bogus libs... good catch!

You should PM John and have him add this info to the sticky if it is a general thing, or even just ubuntu. He's the linux guy at IV and really nice. responds to PMs pretty quick.

Return to “Linux Issues”