Darwinia 1.2.1b not starting (corrected: v1.40b9)

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

chricken
level0

Darwinia 1.2.1b not starting (corrected: v1.40b9)

Postby chricken » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just bought Darwinia from http://store.introversion.co.uk
i received the version 1.2.1b. Then I installed it on Ubuntu 8.04.
Everything seemed to work fine, and now?
I mean: I have checked "create menu-item for Gnome" (or how ever it was written) and checked, that a symbolic link should be created in my Home-Dir.
But now, I am simply not able to start Darwinia.

I am sure, that I am simply too stupid to figure it out, so I ask for your help:
The Start-Icon is not in the start menu
I can't start the file /home/chricken/darwinia/darwinia or anything else
Entering "darwinia" in the console takes no effekt, changing to the namend directory and entering "darwinia" in the console takes no effekt.

So, I don't have any more ideas, how to start it.

I love the demo, and therefore it would be a great annoyence, if i couldn't play it (not to talk about the 14€).
Last edited by chricken on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:47 pm

The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
chricken
level0

Postby chricken » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Oh, yes.
I am sorry, it is the version 1.4.0b9
I have looked at the wrong file, the demo was 1.2.1
Trying to start via console
~/darwinia$ ./darwinia

leads to an errormessage: ./lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
But the package gcc-4.2 is installed
briceman2
level2
level2

Re: Darwinia 1.2.1b not starting

Postby briceman2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:36 pm

chricken wrote:Entering "darwinia" in the console takes no effekt, changing to the namend directory and entering "darwinia" in the console takes no effekt.

The linux command line had one very counter-intuitive "feature". You cannot run a file from the current directory just by typing it's name. So if you were in the right directory in the console and typed "darwinia" it wouldn't work even if the file was right there.

You need to type "./darwinia" -- the "./" says that the file is "right here". Weird, but that's the way it is.

So try openning a console and navigating to the directory you installed to. The proper directory will contain a file called "darwinia" plus others like LICENSE, README, changes.txt. When you get to that directory, type "./darwinia" and the game should load. This executable is actually a shell script which sets up some info before calling the real darwinia executable. You need to run this script, not the other "darwinia" in the /lib subdirectory.

FYI, the installer option to add entries to the desktop menus has never worked for me. So once you locate the right "darwinia" file, simply navigate there using your GUI file manager and make a shortcut to it on your desktop. You should then be able to just click the shortcut if you prefer.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 pm

chricken wrote:leads to an errormessage: ./lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

If I remeber correctly this is common error, use Search.
chricken
level0

Postby chricken » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:37 am

great thank you, it worked

I had to use ./darwinia after changing filename of lib/libgcc_s.so.1 to lib/_libgcc_s.so.1
But its usage is different then the windows-game. Seems to be a different version. Well ...
And the resolution 1920 * 1200 doesn't work :(
Using 1640 * something, it's okay ;)
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 pm

chricken wrote:Seems to be a different version. Well ...

If you mean that 1.4.0b9 uses a different interface on screen, that's because IV added a second interface after lots of people complained about the gestures interface being unfriendly (but cool none the less). It's been there since 1.3 on all platforms I think. In the preferences menu you can select the old gestures interface if you want to try it. It's cool, but not as fast as using hotkeys or the TAB drop down interface.

Return to “Linux Issues”