Installation not working

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

durnurd
level0

Installation not working

Postby durnurd » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 pm

I have the CD in the drive, but when I try to run the patch (1.3.0) to install, it errors with:

/home/ed/.setup10051: error while loading shared libraries: libgmodule-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but this file does exist in /usr/lib

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy. Any thoughts? (I have v1.0 working in WINE v1.0, but I can't install the latest patch because it complains about DirectX. I haven't tried the previous version.)
Edward Dassmesser
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 am

The latest windows installer check for the following files for directx compatibility:

WINDIR\system32\d3dx9_32.dll
WINDIR\system32\xinput1_3.dll

As for the Linux installer, I think it's a loki installer, and you can extract files directly with a command like:

[installer binary] --noexec --nox11 --target darwinia
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:16 am

just a half-baked thought ('cause it's late)...

IIRC the only thing you need from your original disk ar the files inside the .dat archives (which are .rar in disguise). When you upgrade using a patch, a new binary executable gets installed, plus some new files from withing the .dat hierarchy.

Soooo, you can get the cumulative effect of the patches by copying the .dat contents on top of each other in order. The directories inside the .dat can be decompressed and the game will find the files just as if they were still inside the .dat .rar.

Why mention this? Because you can probably take your old Win32 Darwinia install and upgrade it to the latest Linux patch by simply copying the contents of the patch on top of the Win32 install (or a copy of it). You'll probably have to move things around a bit to match the linux layout, but you can avoid Wine and get the 2x performance benefit the linux native engine has over other platforms.

The latest linux patch is 1.4.0b9 ad can be found somewhere in this forum.

The patch is a shar archive, and you can probably install it *first* to create the directory structs, then copy your win32 .dat contents (all of them individually) into these directories, making sure not to overwrite any existing patch files.

Of course you could also support IV again by buying the linux version... you probably make more than that in the hour or two it might take you to troubleshoot...

Return to “Linux Issues”