Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

_42
level0

Can't install the game AND The game is running slow

Postby _42 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:02 pm

When i tried to install the game i got the following error:

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So i just unpacked the game files and copied them into a new directory.
My ~/games/darwinia looks now like:

Code: Select all

darwinia
| darwinia
| lib
  | darwinia.bin.x86
  | language.dat
  | libSDL-1.2.so.0
  | libgcc_s.so.1
  | libogg.so.0
  | libvorbis.so.0
  | libvorbisfile.so.3
  | main.dat
  | open-www.sh
  | patch.dat
  | sounds.dat

So, the second problem is, the game is slow. I'm only getting <30 FPS, and i already switched everything to low. I have an ATI Radeon x700, an AMD Sempron 2000 (not really sure) and 512 MB RAM. I installed all drivers and they work, glxgears shows between 2000 and 1000 FPS.
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:34 pm

Did you install the beta patch (1.4.0b9) from the Sticky thread above? It's the latest and greatest.

Try playing with the RenderLandscapeMode option. Maybe your driver needs an older mode. Search for a list of all the modes.

Turn off the PixelEffect. This may gain you more fps than setting everything low.

When in a level go to the sounds options menu and note the %CPU displayed. If it's >10% then something about your sound drivers is eating CPU. On my linux box it never goes above 1%, but on other OSs it can run 10-20%. Make sure hardware 3D sound is off.

Read the options for your ATI driver. There may be something that's not automatically setup for linux intalls -- like my nvidia driver didn't enable 2D desktop acceleration. Did you install the proprietary driver?

If glxgears is fluctuating that much (1000-2000) then you may have heavy background processes stealing cycles. It should hover around the max value.

You didn't say what screen resolution you're using. You can try downsizing until you can run with options on medium or high. Does windowed vs. full screen make any difference?
_42
level0

Postby _42 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:01 pm

I've installed the Beta Patch yesterday and it was a bit faster, but still slow.

I installed the proepitary drivers.

My resolution is 800x600 in windowed mode.

The PixelEffect is off.

I will have a look at the sound.

Return to “Linux Issues”