Task Manager and Scrolling Background

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

darwiener
level0

Task Manager and Scrolling Background

Postby darwiener » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:22 am

I'm playing with the newest demo for Linux. I'm running it on 2 (non-identical) Slackware 10.2.0 systems.

On one system it works fine. On the other it runs well, but when I bring up the task manager (TAB) and move the mouse a little, the background moves. When the background moves the task manager pops down. That makes it impossible to select any units.

If I pop up a normal menu, then I can move the mouse without the background moving and all is well.
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Sounds like one system has the mouse buttons mapped differently?

Darwinia has two different mouse modes. When you're in a level, and you hit ESC to get the game menu, you can then use the right button (or center on my mouse) and the WASD keys to pan the camera. In this mode the camera stays fixed during left-mouse movements. This mode is used in the level editor, but also takes over whenever menus are on-screen.

In the editor there is an annoying issue that sounds exactly like what you're experiencing in-game. When some editor menus are up, right-clicks "bleed through" to the 3D viewport and cause unwanted pannings of the camera. It sounds like your mouse (on one system) might be generating right-click events which are bleeding through the TAB menu to the game view underneath.

I don't know exactly how to check or fix this if it is the case. But you can try your mouse driver and X setups, and the Darwinia UI setup for keys and mouse events. Also try other mouse buttons if you have several.

Return to “Linux Issues”