Darwinia on Wine/Steam - no text or images but 3d objects ok

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

damokles
level0

Darwinia on Wine/Steam - no text or images but 3d objects ok

Postby damokles » Thu May 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi there,

as I purchased Darwinia through Steam I just installed Steam via wine on Ubuntu Feisty and from there Darwinia. I patched one config file due to sound issues and able to start Darwinia without problems except...

I cannot see any fonts and images in the game. So I see the rendered 3d objects but the menu buttons have no text, the dialog is not readable, the image of the speaker even and so on.

Did anyone had this issue or has an idea how to fix this?

I am running my Ubuntu on a Samsung X30 with Nvidia graphics chips.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu May 24, 2007 6:11 pm

I would suggest that you download the Linux-native version of the demo, and see if that runs. If it works, I would hazard to guess that running the Steam version in Wine is the problem (this is an unsupported solution, and totally unnecessary, as there is a native Linux version of the game available). If it doesn't work, we have narrowed down the problem a bit. I would link to the demo, but I am at work right now, and http://darwinia.co.uk is blocked. Click the link and look around. I am sure you will find it.

xander
damokles
level0

Postby damokles » Thu May 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello Xander,

I also tried the Linux version with the following error:

/work/games/darwinia/lib/darwinia.bin.x86: /work/games/darwinia/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu May 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Hrm... hopefully some Linux minded individual will post in reply to that. From where I am sitting, it looks like you have the wrong version of some library that Darwinia needs to run, but I am a Mac user, and can't say for sure.

xander
damokles
level0

Postby damokles » Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 am

Well actually I am one of those linux geeks and therefore here is the solution for the problem with the native linux version:

Darwinia ships with a libgcc_s.so.1 in its lib directory which is not needed under Ubuntu Feisty and even false as it is compiled with the wrong gcc compiler. So all you have to do is:

$ mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old

in the lib dir and start the game afterwards.

Of course this is much better than running on wine.

Thanks for push to solve this problem ;)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Um... okay! I'm not sure what I did, but if it helped, you are welcome. Just to clarify, you got the Linux version up and running properly, da? So the problem was with emulation via Wine, and not with the hardware?

xander

Return to “Linux Issues”