Future Linux support? Is/was it worth it?

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

ag0ny
level0

Future Linux support? Is/was it worth it?

Postby ag0ny » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi,

i am new to this forum and new to Darwinia as well. To be honest i came here because i read about Multiwinia on http://www.golem.de .

As i am a Linux only person i am looking at all games that run natively under Linux and therefor was also intrested in Darwinia and downloaded the demo this morning and was amazed. Now i hope you guys keep up the support for Linux and that for sure depends on the amount of people buying the Linux version. I am a little wondering because i can see the Linux version of Darwinia still being in a beta state whereas the Windows version has a final state already. And yes i have read that the beta is just as stable as the final, but i am still wondering.

So how many people were buying the Linux version? And how many the Windows/Mac version? Will you stick with your support for Linux also with your current and future projects?

I am assuming that you first developed the Windows version (ofc with the Linux version in mind already, so no DirectX for example) and then the Linux version. Is that right? How long did it take you to adapt your source code to have a Linux version up an running? Were a lot of adaptations necessary?

I hope this is the right place to ask this...if not...well...i am sorry about it. :)

Cheers!!

Edit: Changed subject.
Cotun
level0

Postby Cotun » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:35 am

Well, if I like the game, I will certainly buy it. I use Linux most of the time and therefore I'm more interested in Linux-native games than Windows ones. In fact, I wouldn't of heard of Darwinia if I hadn't seen it mentioned on a Linux games site. One of the factors in my decision to buy Uplink was also because it had dual Windows-Linux support.

So ultimately it would be impossible to deny that OS support isn't an issue in any games that I buy :) Therefore I'm grateful for the support that Introversion has given to Linux in this case.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Don't quote me on this, but, knowing the way IV works, it would be fairly safe to say that they will maintain Linux support for all their games.

Shwart!!

Return to “Linux Issues”