Installing US version of Darwinia on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

alexm
level0

Installing US version of Darwinia on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

Postby alexm » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi all. After some trial and error and searching through this forum, I successfully installed the US (ie., Cinemaware Marquee) version of Darwinia on Ubuntu Linux (6.10, "Edgy Eft"). So, in the Linux spirit of community support...

Here are all the steps I followed to get the US version of Darwinia working on my distro:

1) I extracted the data files from "setup.exe" on the Darwinia CD-ROM onto my hard disk using Wine:
> wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe
This put the win32 executable and data files into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cinemaware Marquee/Darwinia/
2) I made a Darwinia directory in my home directory, with subdirectory lib, like so:
> mkdir ~/darwinia
> mkdir ~/darwinia/lib
This is where the linux installer will look for the Darwinia data files (rather than on the CD).
3) I moved all the ".dat" files from the win32 install directory to the darwinia lib directory:
> mv "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cinemare Marquee/Darwinia/*.dat" ~/darwinia/lib/.
4) I ran the Linux installer (1.3.0) from the introversion website:
> chmod +x darwinia-full-1.3.0.sh
> ./darwinia-full-1.3.0.sh
5) I set the install path to ~/darwinia
6) I unchecked the "CD data files" option (important). This ensures that the installer will look on your hard drive, rather than on the CD, for the game data files.
7) I clicked "begin install" and this put the linux executables in the ~/darwinia directory.
8) I had to delete libgcc_s.so.1 to get the game to run on Edgy Eft, because I was getting the "GCC_4_2_0 not found" error:
> rm ~/darwinia/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
9) I now have lots of fun by typing:
> ~/darwinia/darwinia

Yes, getting the game to work on Linux was a pain in the ass but it's nothing compared to the old dos days. Such is the price of freedom :).

Also, Kudos to Introversion for publishing such a great game and porting it to Linux! I'm looking forward to the Linux release of Defcon now.
Zoot
level0

Postby Zoot » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:11 am

FYI, in Kubuntu 6.10, I had to specify this:

Code: Select all

>wine /media/cdrom0/installer/setup.exe

apparently my CD has the setup.exe file in the /installer directory on the CD, and my drive isn't called /media/cdrom since I have two drives in this computer.

Also, If you ever need to reinstall, and you want to keep your saved games, make sure to copy the contents of ~/.darwinia because that's where the saved games are stored. I just copied them over, and I was able to pick up where I left off before my clean install of Kubuntu 6.10

Thanks for the excellent HOWTO in this thread. It was very helpful in allowing me to install the game today.
cyberbillp
level0

grrr

Postby cyberbillp » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:46 am

This is horrible. I bought Darwinia thinking I could install it easily just like Uplink.
How silly of me.
I don't even have wine installed so I can't get this stupid setup.exe to run. And the install script doesn't work like the web site says.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:28 am

That's probably because you're using a repackaged, Cinemaware Marquee copy of Darwinia. Trust me, the original CDs were much, much easier to install on Linux.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
cyberbillp
level0

Postby cyberbillp » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 pm

shinygerbil wrote:That's probably because you're using a repackaged, Cinemaware Marquee copy of Darwinia. Trust me, the original CDs were much, much easier to install on Linux.

Yeah, it sure is. Didn't realize there was different versions.
Suxus Maximus.

Return to “Linux Issues”