Installing Darwinia on Ubuntu

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

ravalox
level0

Installing Darwinia on Ubuntu

Postby ravalox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 am

hello, I'm trying to install Darwinia on my Ubuntu machine, the installer cannot seem to find my mounted CD. What mount point is it looking for? Can I export a CD_DIR value or something to make it look at my current mount point?
alexm
level0

Postby alexm » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:32 pm

I think the installer looks for the CD at /mnt/cdrom, but Ubuntu uses /media/cdrom by default. However, you only really need the data files, and not the CD itself, to install the game for LInux.

What you need to do is make a darwinia install directory in your home directory (or wherever). Then, make a subdirectory "lib" inside this directory (eg., ~/darwinia/lib).

Next, you need to copy the "*.dat" files from the CD to the lib subdirectory.

Finally, you need to run the linux installer, set the install directory to "~/darwinia" and *uncheck* the "CD data files" option. Now the installer will find the data files on your hard drive in the darwinia directory and install the linux executables in this directory.

Also, if you are running Ubuntu, you will probably need to delete the shared library file "libgcc_s.so.1" from the darwinia lib directory, otherwise you will get an error "GCC_4.2.0" not found (or something like that).

It is also possible that you have the Cinemaware Marquee (US) CDROM, in which case you will need to extract the data files from the "setup.exe" since they are not included directly on the CD (you can do this using wine, or on your windows partition, if you have one).

Hope this helps.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Installing Darwinia on Ubuntu

Postby Montyphy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:34 pm

ravalox wrote:hello, I'm trying to install Darwinia on my Ubuntu machine, the installer cannot seem to find my mounted CD. What mount point is it looking for? Can I export a CD_DIR value or something to make it look at my current mount point?

phase1 tester and you only just made your first post? hehe
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Linux Issues”