no sound

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

teepark84
level0

no sound

Postby teepark84 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:15 am

Darwinia, Uplink, and PPRacer all have no sound, though all other applications do. Sound did work initially, but then I changed sound cards and changed back again. I have motherboard sound in my machine, but use an Audigy 4 instead. This has created difficulty with some distros before, but so far ubuntu hasn't had a problem recognizing it properly.

I saw this page and did

Code: Select all

export SDL_PATH_DSP="/dev/dsp"
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"

as I gather that all three of these are SDL games, but this didn't fix it.

I'm running i386 ubuntu (now).
teepark84
level0

Postby teepark84 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:48 pm

In case this helps in figuring out the problem, I get this output when starting darwinia from the command line:

Code: Select all

travis@localhost:~$ darwinia
/usr/local/games/darwinia
SDL Version: Compiled against 1.2.9, running with 1.2.8
Initialising SDL Audio
Frequency: 44100
Format: 32784
Channels: 2
Samples: 512
Size of Stereo Sample: 4
Loading profile NewUser
zipzo
level0

Postby zipzo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:16 am

I too now have no sound.

AT first i did, i played through the first 5 levels or so. It was kinda weird, when i started the game from the normal destination in /usr directory it would not come up with any progress from my previous sessions. BUt i had left a window open of the folder when i installed the game, and if i started form there, it would give me back my progress.

Now that window is gone, i have to start at the beginnning and theres no sound. BTW, the sound.dat file is there so that not the problem i think.

Wish i could un-install it, but the uninstall file in the directory does nothing at all.
zipzo
level0

Postby zipzo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Well, it doesnt seem anyone either knows how to help or cares that we have no sound. Really is sad because i was enjoying the game very much, but its not worth playing without sound.

I would un-install the game and reinstall, but the un-install file in the darwinia folder does NOTHING at all, this must be a problem other ppl have. why is it even there?
zipzo
level0

Postby zipzo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:19 am

Well, Linux support here is VERY dead. The problem with sound, which i have found out is due to Darwinia having its own libSDL which caused alot of laughing and coughin from more than a few linux devs.

Aparently the Darwinia libSDL is hardcoded to force OSS sound when ppl with linux are much happier with ALSA drivers.

This in general becomes a problem when you have a motherboard sound device, but use a sound card. If you get no sound while playing Darwinia try pluggin you speakers into your motherboard. If you then hear the game saoud, the problem is the libSDL.

IM no linux guru, but if your running Ubuntu go to #ubuntu on freenode.irc and look from Crimsun. Great guy and after solving my problem he will have you up and running in less than 5 minutes.
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:01 am

The version of SDL bundled with Darwinia is not modified in any way, other than to be specially compiled with the autopackage tools so that it can be more easily portable (The reason it's bundled is because not everybody has SDL installed). If you're worried that the bundled SDL is causing problems, try moving it out of the ~/darwinia/lib directory.
gravygoat
level0

I've posted a HOWTO on this...

Postby gravygoat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi -

I just posted a HOWTO on this. It is using the supplied SDL with the game. You were close - that environment variable will need to be set, however - you should not put quotes around the actual path (your post shows "/dev/dsp") and you have to make sure you put the correct dsp device there. Example:

export SDL_PATH_DSP=/dev/dsp; darwinia

Now on my system that command would set the SDL device to be the first device which is the default anyway, and then run darwinia. However I like to force the game to use the next device which in my system is my USB headset, so I do:

export SDL_PATH_DSP=/dev/dsp1; darwinia

You will have to look in the /dev directory to see how many devices you have listed there. Unfortunately I do not know any way to tell which is which in there without some trial and error. However you can check the /proc/asound/cards file (if you have ALSA installed) and it should list your sound devices with some index numbers. Mine looks like this:
0 [CK804 ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xf5005000, irq 217
1 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:02.0-1, full speed
2 [U0x46d0x8b2 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2
USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2 at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed

and as you can see my headset is device 1, which corresponds to /dev/dsp1.

Good luck!
~{Gravygoat}~
ag0ny
level0

Postby ag0ny » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:03 am

I also had no sound when playing the demo version yesterday. I am using the ALSA soundsystem with Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS. I got the sound working with aoss. Therefor the script that starts darwinia needs to be adapted. The call to aoss has to be added at the beginning of the line where darwinia is actually started. I think it is the very last line in the script. Hope that helps someone.

Return to “Linux Issues”