Linux version on CD?

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

spdmnd
level0

Linux version on CD?

Postby spdmnd » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi there,

I was considering to buy Darwinia from the Introversion store, as they probably sell the latest available version, but there are some statements on the product's website that seem contradicrroy to me.

You are buying a CD with Linux and Windows that will be sent via the post.

If I'm not mistaken this means that the Linux version is now on CD and I don't need to additionally download the Installer. Is this the case?
However on the product website I found the following:

The game CD that you purchase from our site or from the UK high-street contains only the Windows version of Darwinia. In order to install for Linux you must first purchase this Windows CD.

It's just that I prefer the Linux version to be on the CD instead of a pointrelease like download. If Darwinia for Linux is still download only I will probably get it from tuxgames instead.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:09 am

When you buy Darwinia on CD, it contains the Windows binary, and the data files. The Linux installer uses the data files from the CD, and installs a Linux binary. Thus, what you get on the CD is both the Windows and Linux version (of the data files), and only the Windows version (of the binary executable).

xander

Return to “Linux Issues”