Hey! Here's a new one! Darwinia runs slow on Linux!

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

hygraed
level0

Hey! Here's a new one! Darwinia runs slow on Linux!

Postby hygraed » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:14 am

I'll wait for you to finish reeling from the shock.
Okay. I just downloaded and installed the Linux Darwinia demo (the new one). From what I've seen so far, it looks really cool and fun. However, it's so choppy that it's kind of a hassle to play. I've set the resolution to 640x480 and turned all of the graphics to their lowest settings. Pixel effects and realtime sounds are also off.
However, it still only runs at about 10 FPS when I'm actually directing units and my squads are fighting virii and stuff. Of course, if I look at the sky or something, it shoots right up to about 70.

I have a 1.4GHz Intel Celeron M, 446MB of RAM (I used to have 512MB, but some of it mysteriously disappeared several months ago), and a 128MB ATI Radeon video card. I'm playing on a Toshiba notebook computer running Ubuntu Linux 6.06.

Any suggestions?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 am

Conclusion: ATI cards suck. I have one too. Have you made sure you're using the right drivers for your card?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
hygraed
level0

Postby hygraed » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 am

shinygerbil wrote:Conclusion: ATI cards suck. I have one too. Have you made sure you're using the right drivers for your card?

I'm pretty sure. aticonfig works and everything.

Return to “Linux Issues”