Linspire Click and Buy

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Slacker
level0

Linspire Click and Buy

Postby Slacker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:39 am

Hello:

I was wondering if there is a chance that Darwinia could be added to the Linspire Click and Buy system? I'm sure there are other Linspire users who would love to purchase the game using that method.

Thanks,

Keith
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:34 pm

I thought that service just resold free software. Do they also sell commercial software (and would IV get a decent amount for each sale)?
Slacker
level0

Postby Slacker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 pm

Actually, they aren't selling free software. That's a mis-conception. What you pay for is the simplicity of installing software with one click, plus, have a library of the software you do install. I like it for the convenience myself. I used to compile software all the time for games I'd like to play, or download packages & put them on. Now, it's easier for me to click on the packages I do want. If my system were to crash for whatever reason (hopefully not!), after I re-install the O.S. I could highlight all the packages I previously installed & re-install them all.

As for what Introversion would get... I have no idea. I'm just a user of the O.S. like anyone else. In the end, it seems like another opportunity for them to sell the game on the Linux platform. That's all that really matters... getting more Linux gamers in the picture :)
mr_gigabytes
level0

Postby mr_gigabytes » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Darksun wrote:I thought that service just resold free software. Do they also sell commercial software (and would IV get a decent amount for each sale)?

As someone who writes and publishes software for Linspire, I may be able to answer the second part.

I can tell you that IV can set the wholesale price they wish to be paid per unit. It is totally up to the publisher what they want to be paid and they get to keep 100% of the wholesale price.

For more information, Linspire has made an excellent FAQ here.

http://www.linspire.com/publisher_faq.php
Slacker
level0

Postby Slacker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:24 pm

No answer at all from IV on this? Even a no for an answer is better than none at all. :(

Of course, yes would be better, but it would be nice to hear something one way or the other.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Slacker wrote:No answer at all from IV on this? Even a no for an answer is better than none at all. :(

Of course, yes would be better, but it would be nice to hear something one way or the other.

I am not a representative of IV, nor do I have any direct pipeline to their business decisions, or any insider information. (In fact, I'm pretty much a nobody to them when most matters are considered ;D).

I would, however, suppose that there may be a clause in IV's contract with Valve/Steam that prevents them from making an online distribution deal with any other company than them - which would make sense. If there was another deal with a different company, Valve would not get their cut of the loot for any sales through that alternate distribution channel, therefore less money for Valve, and that would make distributing Darwinia less appealing to them. It's all about exclusivity. IV's own online store no longer distributes the Windows version of the game digitally, which somewhat validates my previous supposition. The linux version is still distributed digitally by IV's own store, because (according to my supposition) it does not compete with Steam, as they don't do linux yet. Linux distribution with another publisher (other than their own site) may indeed be covered in the contract as well though. Who knows? It's all supposition at this point.

And I seriously doubt that IV would make more money in an exclusive deal with any other online distribution system than they do with Steam - it's currently king of the hill, so it seems.

Also - most companies don't discuss financial/business practices/arrangements in detail on public message boards - so, I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer here.

Edit: Clarification.

Edit2: Mac distribution would obviously not fall under this supposed contract's jurisdiction, since Ambrosia had the Mac rights ages ago.
subslug
level0

Postby subslug » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:43 am

You'd think we might at least be able to get a yes, maybe or even a hell no wouldn't ya?

sometimes you just can't force people to sell their product.

Return to “Linux Issues”