Horrible framerate... :(

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

SoujiroSeta
level0

Horrible framerate... :(

Postby SoujiroSeta » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi!

Yesterday, I tried the demo of Darwinia (on windows xp) and LOVED the game. Today I realised that there is a LINUX version of Darwinia, so I instantly bought it!

Now, when I run the game I get an horrible framerate of 1-2 fps!!! :( On windows, everything looked fine...!

I machine is a amd 1700+ with 512Mb ram and my video card is GeForce fx 5200
I'm running on Fedora Core 4...

Can anyone help me...!!!!

I lowered the in-game resolution to 800x600, lowered graphics details and sound options and don't get any improvement...

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP!! I wanna play Darwinia in LINUX ^_^

David
SoujiroSeta
level0

Postby SoujiroSeta » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 pm

oups...

didn't saw the post below, but basically, I have the exact same problem...

Also, I've read somewhere that if you install nvidia (or ATI)'s drivers, it just destroys the stability of the OS... So is there a way the make it work without using theses...?

Thanks!

David
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:31 am

I've not had any problems at all with the latest nVidia drivers, and few with earlier releases. I'm not sure about ATi drivers. The issue that you will find is that kernel developers will be unlikely to want to attempt to debug any issues you may have with a tainted kernel, but you are unlikely to have any.

Non-vendor drivers have no 3D acceleration (since a lot of secret technical knowledge is required to interface with the hardware), and thus for the forseeable future it will be impossible to play demanding (and not-so-demanding) OpenGL games.
SoujiroSeta
level0

Postby SoujiroSeta » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:42 pm

It worked!! Thanks alot Dave2!

I install the nvidia drivers via the livna rpm and now everything runs perfectly even at 1080x728 !!

For thoses interested, I got the drivers at:

http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html

using yum as descriped by the link, but first I had to configure yum such that it was "linked?' to livna by installin the rpm at:

http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html

And now everything works just fine!
Thanks for the help!!

David

Return to “Linux Issues”