C++ Standard Library

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

What version of libstdc++ is present on your system?

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
7%
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
29%
Both
63%

Total votes: 41
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

C++ Standard Library

Postby John » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:08 pm

How many Darwinia/linux players are running a libstdc++.so.5 (gcc-3.3) only system?

Have a look and see if you have:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
or both files present on your system, and answer the poll above!
dimension128
level0

6, and it wont work :(

Postby dimension128 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 am

I played darwinia at someone's house sometime back in 2006(I think). I stumbled across it online tonight and thought to myself, Hey I should buy this game. I downloaded the demo, and spent about an hour trying to get around the loki installer. (It wants libgtk-1.2.so.0 My system has libgtk2)...
After reading that I can simply make it extract the files, I did so, and then I tried to run the demo...
Now its saying that it needs libstdc++.so.5 .
Sigh. :(
Why is it that things like this must be linked to a specific version of a library? Isn't there a way to make the program look for libstdc++.so 5 or greater ?

I went ahead and made the link ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.13 libstdc++.so.5
Now when I run ./darwinia-demo2-1.3.0.sh it is again asking for libgtk-1.2.so.0
Unfortunately I can not locate my current libgtk-*.so* file. All I have in .usr.lib is...
libgtk-vnc-1.0.so.0 libgtk-vnc-1.0.so.0.0.1 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1800.3

I do not have the older versions of these libraries available in the repositories.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 amd_64 2.6.31-17
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: 6, and it wont work :(

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 am

dimension128 wrote:Why is it that things like this must be linked to a specific version of a library? Isn't there a way to make the program look for libstdc++.so 5 or greater ?
No. The C++ ABI (Application Binary Interface) changed, things break in horrible ways if you try. The only thing that can be done is to offer two binaries, tell users how to install the old library. Have you tried 'sudo apt-get install libstdc++5'?
dimension128
level0

Postby dimension128 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 am

I don't know what I was thinking the other night. I tried to fix the problem, then went back to trying to run the installer...

Anyway, yes linking c++6 to 5 did not work. And no, the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories no longer have version 5, or the older gtk library for that matter.
I ended up following the instructions here:
http://hsmak.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/h ... untu-9-10/

I got the game running. However no-matter if I run it in windowed mode or full-screen. For some reason the screen blanks every so often. It only lasts for a moment, and the game comes back.

But the real annoyance is that sound does not work. Of course, Ubuntu 9.10 is using Pulse. And it really does work well, for the programs that are written for it.

But anyway, this is a discussion for a different thread. I was just wondering if maybe these kinds of issues are corrected in the full game? Is the demo just a really old untouched build? I was thinking about buying darwinia, multiwinia, and defcon. I see that the 4 game bundle would be the cheaper way to go. Even though I'm not really interested in Uplink.
But If I buy the game(s) can I expect the same problems?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:05 am

I don't really know about Darwinia for Linux, I only have the Windows version there. But for DEFCON, a trick you can do is to replace the SDL library it ships with with a link to your system one (just deleting it may work, too). SDL is just a C library and all 1.2 versions are backwards compatible, so that works without trouble. And since sound is handled by SDL, the system version of it should do the right thing. Same, possibly, for the screen blanking. That may be the screensaver kicking in on occasion because the included SDL doesn't know how to tell it that it shouldn't start. I guess the same trick can work for Dawrinia.

And yeah, I think the full build of Darwinia is a bit more recent than the Demo. Don't know the details, though. Multiwinia, of course, doesn't have a Linux version currently, and running it in wine gives mixed results.
dimension128
level0

Postby dimension128 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:33 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:And since sound is handled by SDL, the system version of it should do the right thing. Same, possibly, for the screen blanking. That may be the screensaver kicking in on occasion because the included SDL doesn't know how to tell it that it shouldn't start. I guess the same trick can work for Dawrinia.

And yeah, I think the full build of Darwinia is a bit more recent than the Demo.

Well I bought it, and I have it working.
And yes for anyone else wondering about it, the full game does seem to be a newer build. Well it works better than the demo anyway. I have sound. The only issue I have left it the screen blanking. But it is happening much less often so its not really bothering me.
It is interesting though that by default the game says...
SDL Version: Compiled against 1.2.9, running with 1.2.8
And when I rename the sdl Lib so it uses it from my system it says...
SDL Version: Compiled against 1.2.9, running with 1.2.13
And then the sound doesn't work well. Its mostly static. So I just run it with its own sdllib and the sound works fine.

In order not to hijack this thread any more Ill just post a link to my post about getting it running on Ubuntu9.10
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwinia/viewtopic.php?p=43160#43160

Return to “Linux Issues”