Rocket = Crash

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

maxinion
level0

Rocket = Crash

Postby maxinion » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:11 pm

Has anyone else had the game crash when they use a rocket? No matter what, when I use a rocket, the game locks up... grenades and airstrikes seem to work fine.

I'm running a pentium 4 1.8 ghz, 512 mb ram, an ati radeon 9800 pro with 128 mb memory, running the closed source ATI driver (8.20.08 ) Doesn't matter what I set the settings to... crashes no matter what. Strangeness.

EDIT: Turns out this was a bug on old versions released to Steam... and I actually did copy the main.dat and sounds.dat files from an old steam installation, but one that was fully updated. Anyone know if that matters?

EDIT: Found the culprit. Failed to open sound stream decoder : sounds/rocket_boom3 is the problem. So... now how to fix it.
maxinion
level0

Postby maxinion » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 pm

I'm going to continue my little monologue, since this forum seems rather sparse. I opened up sounds.dat as a rar file, turns out its missing all the rocket_boom sounds. I'm trying to copy and paste the gren_boom sounds to rocket_boom and see what happens, but no luck so far. Tricky little archive.
maxinion
level0

Postby maxinion » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 pm

Yay, it worked. Copy and paste the gren_boom1 through gren_boom5 sounds, rename them as rocket_boom1 through rocket_boom5, and it works.

The question stands: has anyone else had this problem, or is this just because I copied my sounds.dat from steam?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Does your Steam version work? And, not to be a jerk or anything, but using the Steam files on Linux is not really supported. I believe the exact words were:

Code: Select all

Jan 02 15:12:33 <John>  I think the official line is that using the steam files with the linux patch is not supported
Jan 02 15:13:12 <John>  however, unofficially, good on you if you can make it work

xander

EDIT: Also, there is no reason to post three times when the edit button is available and no one has responded yet.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 pm

Plus, a quick search for rocket_boom would of turned up exactly four results, this topic included. This topic would of provided the most help, linking to DarwiniaSoundsFix.

NeoThermic
maxinion
level0

Postby maxinion » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:49 pm

Bah. I did search, I swear... in the Linux forum. Not the other ones, which would give those links. Sorry all. Strange that this never happened when playing with Steam, and is only revealed in Linux, though.

To xander:

Everything does work fine on Steam. I guess that they patched the exe, and not the actual sounds.dat, when they patched the steam bug?

I'm sorry for bothering you all with 2 self replies, and a lack of search. I just wanted to figure out if this was a bug, or a steam-issue that I'm going to have to solve myself. Turns out its the latter--I'm more than happy to deal with the problem myself now.

Return to “Linux Issues”