Linux patch 1.3 (bugs)

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

LivingTarget
level0

Linux patch 1.3 (bugs)

Postby LivingTarget » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 am

Well I was gonna post it in the general discussion but I decided to just post it in linux as they might not apply to the windows version. I got a couple of suspicious things.

Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

1. Cancelling tasks. When I cancel a task the selection indicator goes to some unknown point in the distance for a split second. Even though no task is selected after cancelling.

2. Armour. When deploying an armour anywhere and there are no darwinians controlling it it is impossible to select it , even though you can click on it. Also see nr.3

3. Armour again. When selecting armour the view goes up, when you click it again the view goes up even higher and higher .... and higher.

The bugs from this thread:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=2600

1. "Destroy ant infection" is already completed. -> Could not reproduce this, first time playing the level on both linux and windows I never encountered this.

The other ones I will have to look at later.
Last edited by LivingTarget on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Linux patch 1.3 (bugs)

Postby xander » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 pm

LivingTarget wrote:2. Armour. When deploying an armour anywhere and there are no darwinians controlling it it is impossible to select it. Also see nr.3

3. Armour again. When selecting armour the view goes up, when you click it again the view goes up even higher and higher .... and higher.

Are you talking about Armour, or Battle Cannons? It sounds like you are talking about Battle Cannons, so I will go on that assumption. In the case of your first complaint, this is the intended behavior of the game. If there are no DGs controlling a Battle Cannon, it won't fire. If it can't be fired, there is not much point to selecting it, so it is not selectable. You will have to get a few DGs to it before you can use it. As to the second issue, several people have complained about it -- but it is the way that the game is meant to respond. Just remember to move the camera down again after selecting the Battle Cannon. Incidentally, Radar Dishes will do about the same thing.

xander
LivingTarget
level0

Postby LivingTarget » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:58 pm

Armour....Battlecannons. Don't armour transform into battlecannons? I only just finished that level so maybe i missed a comment like that.

I somewhat disagree with not being able to select an empty battlecannon, besides doing the camera up thingy it's terribly annoying. You can't cancel it nor do anything with it like pack up and leave :) Even though the selection thing shows up for it.
So I was stuck with it until I planted darwinians at the base, selected it and cancelled it. Sure it's more a missing feature then a bug.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:12 pm

LivingTarget wrote:Armour....Battlecannons. Don't armour transform into battlecannons? I only just finished that level so maybe i missed a comment like that.

I somewhat disagree with not being able to select an empty battlecannon, besides doing the camera up thingy it's terribly annoying. You can't cancel it nor do anything with it like pack up and leave :)
So I was stuck with it until I planted darwinians at the base, selected it and cancelled it. Sure it's more a missing feature then a bug.

Yes, Armour transform into Battle Cannons (BCs), but BCs are not the same thing as Armour. It would be like claiming that a Hatchery and a Zerg Drone are the same thing in StarCrack. Hence, I was confused by your usage of Armour to mean Battle Cannon. Now that we are clear on the subject, I am not confused. I was trying to clear up my confusion, not to correct you. I am sorry if I gave offense.

Now, your comment about not being able to select BCs that are not occupied: BCs can be set up in the editor, thus you do not need to have a player create them. Let us say that a level is designed with a BC in it. This BC is meant to be occupied by red DGs, but it takes them a couple of seconds to get there. A player could easily select the BC before it is taken by the red army, and [CTRL]+[C] it before it becomes a threat. There goes the challenge. I do not think that BCs should be cancelable once they are set up, unless they are under green control, for this reason, and other related reasons (you set up a BC in a bad place, and it is about to be overrun -- all of your DGs are dead -- you shouldn't be able to delete it as the reds are taking it; again, it takes away challenge from the game).

Also, once a BC is set up, it cannot be taken down. It is a permanent building, and can only be deleted by first taking control of it. If you make a mistake, and put a BC in a bad place, that is your problem.

These are aspects of the game that you have to accept, as this was what the designers intended. It would be a very different game if you could pack them up and move them around. I am not saying that it would be good or bad, only different.

Now, I agree that the camera is a problem, but it is one that has been discussed. To my perception, it is generally agreed that it is a problem, but that it is a low priority, and that other bugs must come first. We may be stuck with that behaviour forever. Learn to compensate. I really can't offer any other kind of advice.

xander
LivingTarget
level0

Postby LivingTarget » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 pm

Ok sounds good to me then. Thanks for explaining, i'm sure it will make sense once I complete the whole game.

Just saying why can you click on them in the first place while they aren't occupied then? Shouldn't that be changed you think?

Updated my first post to reflect that.
madman2k
level1
level1

Re: Linux patch 1.3 (bugs)

Postby madman2k » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm

LivingTarget wrote:3. Armour again. When selecting armour the view goes up, when you click it again the view goes up even higher and higher .... and higher.

I can confirm this.

Additionally, if you have already an armor selected and select an other one, the move here cursor is being displayed, but the armor actually doesnt move. (to point it out: the cursor should not appear)
Luca
level0

Postby Luca » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:58 pm

I don't know whether these have been reported before, but heh, here goes.

1) Battle cannons again. If you have one selected (so you can fire) and open the task manager you cannot use the task manager.

2) Some things not being saved when leaving a location. In nearly all locations the shooty plant things are still there when I return. With the Temple one of the things you have to destroy for the objectives (not trying to spoil the game too much) is there (even though I have completed it) as well as a few of the viruses and spiders. I completed this level with v1.3, so it much be a bug with this version somewhere.

3) The radar dish beams going past the dish (reported a few times before).

4) On my system the sound is the wrong way around - the sounds on the left come out of the right speaker, and vice versa. All other programs seem to work fine though.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:14 pm

Luca wrote:2) Some things not being saved when leaving a location. In nearly all locations the shooty plant things are still there when I return. With the Temple one of the things you have to destroy for the objectives (not trying to spoil the game too much) is there (even though I have completed it) as well as a few of the viruses and spiders. I completed this level with v1.3, so it much be a bug with this version somewhere.

Yup, the save system is a bit of a problem. Also, I think that there are several buildings that should be marked as dynamic that are marked as static still in the game (this means that they would reappear after every restart, even following a save).

Luca wrote:4) On my system the sound is the wrong way around - the sounds on the left come out of the right speaker, and vice versa. All other programs seem to work fine though.

There is an option in one of the menus to switch stero sound (or something like that). This is a very old bug from the days of the original beta, but it can be easily worked around. Basically, the swap stereo sound flag is wrong by default, but can be fixed. From the world map, hit [ESC] to bring up the menu, click on "Options" -> "Sound Options" and enable "Swap Stereo".

xander
Luca
level0

Postby Luca » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:53 pm

xander wrote:There is an option in one of the menus to switch stero sound (or something like that). This is a very old bug from the days of the original beta, but it can be easily worked around. Basically, the swap stereo sound flag is wrong by default, but can be fixed. From the world map, hit [ESC] to bring up the menu, click on "Options" -> "Sound Options" and enable "Swap Stereo".

xander

Much nicer, thanks.

There is also another problem I forgot to mention. When you are moving the radar dish, if you move them a very small amount, when they have finished moving, sometimes the movement sound is still playing. You can deselect the dish, move half way across the map, and when you come back it will still be played. The only way to stop it is to move it again.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:08 pm

Luca wrote:When you are moving the radar dish, if you move them a very small amount, when they have finished moving, sometimes the movement sound is still playing. You can deselect the dish, move half way across the map, and when you come back it will still be played. The only way to stop it is to move it again.

As this is not a show-stopper, and it rarely ever happens (unless you're actually trying to make it happen, as most people only need to move a particular dish once or twice), I doubt that it will be a high priority. But yeah, I've seen it too, so it is replicatable, and I play on Windows, not Linux.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm

trickfred wrote:
Luca wrote:When you are moving the radar dish, if you move them a very small amount, when they have finished moving, sometimes the movement sound is still playing. You can deselect the dish, move half way across the map, and when you come back it will still be played. The only way to stop it is to move it again.

As this is not a show-stopper, and it rarely ever happens (unless you're actually trying to make it happen, as most people only need to move a particular dish once or twice), I doubt that it will be a high priority. But yeah, I've seen it too, so it is replicatable, and I play on Windows, not Linux.

Heh... another bug from early betas that still persists, though I thought they had fixed that one.

xander

Return to “Linux Issues”