Darwinia Demo and Fedora 4

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

evilmike
level0
Location: Tiny little village in North Yorkshire, with no ADSL!

Darwinia Demo and Fedora 4

Postby evilmike » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:50 am

Hey guys,

I found the demo of Darwinia on the Linux Format cover DVD the other day, and have been trying to run it on my shiny new Fedora Core 4 installation on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150). I have been using linux for a fair while now, but have never really got into the inner workings of it as much as I have with Windows. So this error is probably caused by my total incompetence.
Anyway, when trying to lauch the demo by the added link in the application menu, nothing happens at all. No windows open, nothing. So I fired up an xterm and entered 'darwinia', and it returned this:
The installer ran fine (great installer btw, something we need more of in linux), but all i can get it to do is this. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong? :roll:
As I say, this is a new installation of the OS, I didn't really customise it very much, and whilst not a total newbie, I am not hugely experienced in the insides of Linux. So I apologise if the answer to this is bloody obvious, or if it is listed here elsewhere under a different thread.
In any case, I have a working windows partiton, and have ordered the full game (awaiting delivery), so I'll be able to get it going somehow.

Cheers :P
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

Fedora Core 4 uses the new C++ ABI standard (libstdc++.so.6), but Darwinia links against the older standard C++ libraries (libstdc++.so.5).

Code: Select all

yum provides libstdc++.so.5

when run as root, should install the necessary compatibility package (compat-libstdc++-33.i386).
evilmike
level0
Location: Tiny little village in North Yorkshire, with no ADSL!

Postby evilmike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:10 am

Great. :P Thanks, I will try that. :D

I thought it may have been something to do with various versions of libraries, so I used the Add/Remove components tool to install all the development group. A shame really, as it now leaves me with 300MB of space on the Linux partition and doesn't seem to happy about removing them again (i mean, WTF? I can't *delete* packages because a package that those packages depends on is required by said packages, in order to delete them? :roll:) Ahh well. Typical computing logic.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably wait until my full copy arrives before trying anything else now. :D
Cheers
Zendog
level0

Postby Zendog » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:09 am

Hey all;

I downloaded the "complete" distro from Introversion's website (Linux Version ~ 33MB)
I'm running Fedora FC4 - most recent updates applied

I had the exact same problem.

Then, I DL'd the 1.0.3 patch (Linux) and ran that.

Still no improvement. Then, I read this topic, so...

As root, I did this:

[root@fedora darwinia]# yum provides libstdc++.so.5

This happened:

Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files

compat-libstdc++-33.i386                 3.2.3-47.fc4           base
Matched from:
libstdc++.so.5
Importing Additional filelist information for packages

Matched from:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5

Matched from:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5

Then I did this:

[root@fedora darwinia]# /usr/local/games/darwinia

I got this:

./lib/darwinia.bin.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[root@fedora darwinia]#

So...I thought I'd try this:

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.7 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

But all I got was this:

[root@fedora darwinia]# /usr/local/games/darwinia
./lib/darwinia.bin.x86: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by ./lib/darwinia.bin.x86)
./lib/darwinia.bin.x86: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by ./lib/darwinia.bin.x86)

Do you have any more suggestions/further insights?
I've already played the demo, and I paid the full price for the retail box ~ I loved the demo!
I really want to play this thing. ;-)

ZD
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Ah, it looks like my instructions weren't the full story (I don't actually run Fedora Core). First you do a

# yum provides libstdc++.so.5

and then you see what packages provide that library and then you install one of them. In your case it would be

# yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i386

Make sure to remove that symbolic link you made earlier before installing the package because the two library versions are quite incompatible.
Zendog
level0

Postby Zendog » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:37 pm

It worked!! Thanks very much John!!

I don't know how to say "kicks metric-ass-ton of ass" in the UK but if I did, that's what I'd be saying about Darwinia.

I greatly appreciate the experience and promptness you brought to solving my issue, and I'm already looking forward to Introversion's next release!

ZD
SupaFli
level0

Postby SupaFli » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:19 am

Guys,

(I pray I don't get flamed for this)

If there was a better word for the stage before "Newb" I would be that.

The only reason I came to be on this forum is because of Google. I did a search for the very same error you solved here in this post, and found my solution just by following your exact instructions. I had no idea what Darwinia was when I first navigated to the site, but then saw that it was an incredibly advanced game beyond my scope of knowledge in the LINUX environment. Very cool concept! :P

I came here because I had the very same error running Battlefield 2 as a Dedicated Server on FC4.

The only thing is that when I ran the command you gave as a method to find your necessary installation package...

( # yum provides libstdc++.so.5 )

I didn't get a return of what packages provide that library? :(

I then ran the command anyway... [which I'm sure was risky]

( # yum install compat-libstdc++-33.i386 )

Then it found the necessary package and downloaded it!

I am again, 'totally new' to the LINUX environment, but I do realize its strength as an operating system. I will say this much about this solution and help to the extent that it could not have been anymore precise. I just wish I knew where to even start with all the problem solving methods you guys use to repair or install the necessary packages to make this OS run as it does.

For now I just have to rely on Google.com and very kind forum users such as yourselves.

Thanks everyone for this post. Hopefully I will get proficient enough to finally play this game with you guys one day!

Return to “Linux Issues”