Hang under Mandrivia 2005

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Sketch
level0

Hang under Mandrivia 2005

Postby Sketch » Fri May 13, 2005 2:31 am

Ever since I upgraded to Mandrivia 2005, Darwinia is now randomly hanging. Not crashing, just hanging, can't move mouse or respond to keyboard (I've tried the Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to kill X and Ctrl-Alt-Fx to try and get to another VT, with no luck), so I have to hard-reboot.

I've upgraded to the 1.2.1 patch with no luck. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be anything particular that I'm doing since it can run for 15 minutes with no problem, or only 5 minutes. It ran just fine under Mandrake 10.0. I'm in the mine level if that helps, and it tends to happen while attacking, but not always (I spend a lot of time attacking so it's hard to say since I can attack just fine most of the time).

Any ideas?

System specs: P4 3.0Ghz ATI9700 with 8.10.19 drivers.
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Fri May 13, 2005 9:49 am

What happens if you run it in windowed mode, and have an x-term running top in the background. Are you running out of memory / swapping to disk a lot?
Sketch
level0

Postby Sketch » Sat May 14, 2005 8:32 pm

It doesn't appear that I'm running out of memory or swap. But I did some tests and my system also hangs when running the fgl_glxgears application for a while. So, for now I'm assuming it's a video driver or other problem with my system. If you have any ideas let me know. I've tried both internal and external agp for the ati driver, with no success. I'll keep googling for an answer...
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Sun May 15, 2005 4:24 pm

It's a long shot, but it's worth checking with latest ATI drivers 8.12.10

It might also be worth trying the vanilla radeon drivers, although I last time I tried, I had to disable the pixel effect.

Return to “Linux Issues”