Linux glibc 2.2 not supported in demo!

Problems with the Linux version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

ayqazi
level0

Linux glibc 2.2 not supported in demo!

Postby ayqazi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:56 pm

This is a BIG gripe with me and Linux games, one that is about to make me give up the Linux platform for gaming: the glibc binary compatibility.

I'm using glibc 2.2.5 on a self-compiled system. I tried to install glibc-2.3.3, but for some reason none of the old programs would start up! So I downgraded. I can't just upgrade, I have to download/recompile all the tarballs for all the packages I've installed to date. I am not prepared to do this. I'm planning to use gentoo, but thats for my new computer, which I'm not planning to get for a few more months.

Unfortunately, the darwinia installer requires glibc 2.3! This is a real pain. PLEASE compile all packages with all but the most essential libraries as statically linked in, PLEASE. Obviously the libGL needs to be dynamically linked, but really thats it! Nothing else needs to be dynamically linked.

grumbel from happypengin.org is also in tune with this opinion, as are many other people.

If I can't get the demo to run, I'm as sure not gonna buy the game, even though I was really looking forward to buying it.

Please, provide a fix, a tarball (the darwinia demo seems to be 2.2.5 compatible) or some other solution.

Thanks,
Asfand Yar
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:10 pm

Does anybody else have this problem? I have a proposed fix, but need users with similar versions of glibc to the above to test.

Thanks

John
ayqazi
level0

Postby ayqazi » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:51 am

OK, it works very well, thanks.

However a few issues:

When an officer is selected, and then I select another unit, the officer moves to the point that I clicked when selecting the other unit - it can get annoying at times.

Also, I played the demo in Windows too - in that. bald bloke says something about "Well now that you're here" and all that at the beginning of the demo - he doesn't in the Linux version. Or is it because its the new beta?

Also, there's a problem with Darwinia changing resolutions. For example. say if X is in 16bpp mode, and Darwinia configured to 32bpp - it'll crash. Only if the config file is edited to mimic the X bpp configuration does it start without crashing.

But other than that its very good! Thanks very much!

Return to “Linux Issues”