Beta 4d: stable game play,camera steady, but sound distorted

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, andy, John

fletchbiz
level1
level1

Beta 4d: stable game play,camera steady, but sound distorted

Postby fletchbiz » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:50 pm

Just wanted to report that Beta 4d does indeed provide a major step forward in playability. No camera shake, reasonable frame rate (ranging from 10 to 30-50). Gestures work reliably.

The only thing I'm noticing is sound problems. When first starting the game, the sound is extremely distorted, with skips and lots of clipping. Things settle down a bit after a few minutes, but even so, there are times when I noticed distortion problems throughout. These incidents were mostly high-pitched squeeks. They did not sound like anything coming from the game itself, although, with all the blips and blorps the game makes, I suppose it could be. The squeeks I heard were just too raspy and out of character to have been intentional.

One other thing I noticed was that adjusting the screen prefs downward caused a negative effect on frame rate. For example, taking bit depth to 16 slowed everything down. Bit depth at 32 was best. Taking resolution down to 640 X 480 made game quite ugly, but it did not speed up frame rate. Therefore, I found the max resolution at 32 bit depth to be the most playable setup on my iMac G4 1 gHz/768 MB.

Outside of that, the latest beta is great. No crashes on start up or quit. Just good play. In fact, my 11-year-old daughter spent 90 minutes having a very fine time completing all the objectives and ended wanting more. :-)

Fletch
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:39 pm

Thanks Fletch. Please could you try editing

~/Library/Application Support/Darwinia/demo/preferences.txt

Set the SoundBufferSize to 1024 or 512. Does this improve matters? For me it stopped the skipping at the beginning. What about the sound distortions?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Changing the settings as you describe does have a noticable effect on sound quality, but it does not entirely fix the problem.

This is what it sounds like with default settings: Sound 1
This is what it sounds like with with SoundBufferSize set to 1024: Sound 2

Both files are .aifc, which is all I can record at the moment. I am pretty sure that you should be able to play it with iTunes, and the Finder has no problem with it.

Hope that helps,
xander
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks Xander, is it roughly the same with 512?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:58 pm

John wrote:Thanks Xander, is it roughly the same with 512?

/me starts up a text editor and Darwinia...

[several moments later]

Better than default, not as good as 1024... this is what it sounds like.

xander

Return to “Mac Issues”