Help Not Working

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Red Intruder
level1
level1

Help Not Working

Postby Red Intruder » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:37 pm

I made an Officer, two Squads, and an Engineer. I destroyed a number of my Darwinians with a grenade, and after the Engineer cleaned up the corpses, I tried making another squad. The help box came up telling me that I had the maximum amount of programs. Around this time, the help function stopped working- Although the "press h for help" message was still at the top of the screen, pressing "h" didn't do anything. I quit, started up Darwinia again, and it works fine now.
<invalid signature>
UberBuckley
level1
level1

Postby UberBuckley » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:43 pm

I ran into that as well (the help not working that is). It seems that after a certain amount of messages have been displayed, that no new messages will be displayed, unless you're close to a new builing and hover over it and hit h. However, you can view tour most recent messages by hitting tab.

In the first levels, you only have the ability to create and manage three tasks (Engineer, Squad, etc.) at once. If you want to get rid of a task, you can hold option (alt) and tab over to the task. While still holding option, hit control and period to end the task. Note that this is the control button to the far right of your keyboard, not the apple button.
Monkeyfood
level1
level1

Postby Monkeyfood » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:29 pm

You can also kill tasks with Control-C or even just c
UberBuckley
level1
level1

Postby UberBuckley » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:49 pm

Yeah, my bad. It's Command-c, not command-period.
Red Intruder
level1
level1

Postby Red Intruder » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:03 pm

I ran into the same problem today under similar circumstances. I didn't press "h" in the beginning, and made the max number of tasks. I tried to make another program and got the message saying you can only have 3. I tried to use help sometime after this with no success. I tried going next to a building and pressing "h" like you suggested, but it still didn't work.
<invalid signature>
Red Intruder
level1
level1

Postby Red Intruder » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:44 pm

Another update on this from beta 3. I've still had trouble with the help function working reliably. Often if I don't use it after making a few things and then try it, it won't work. This doesn't seem to be related to the camera's position (as in close or not close to a building). Also, I just got another help problem in which every time I pressed "h" I would get the exact same message about what to do if you don't have a middle mouse button. I've got a screenshot, if it will help.
<invalid signature>
wallyfoo
level0

Postby wallyfoo » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:53 am

In three launches, help dies consistently after reprogramming the first dish. I'll try again and get the actual message it dies on.

Beta 3, 10.3.5, 800 MHz iBook, 640 MB RAM.[/b]
dluke
level1
level1

Postby dluke » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:50 pm

I've noticed the same thing. (Help stops working after I reprogram the first dish).

It's difficult to know what to do in the game when I can't finish the help tutorial ;-)

Return to “Mac Issues”