Old Darwinia not working

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Man_Over_Game
level0

Old Darwinia not working

Postby Man_Over_Game » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:34 pm

I had a REALLY old version of Darwinia, like before it belonged to steam. I was playing it, and it was good and all, but then I tried using the new patch... and my game ran so terrible, I had to reinstall it without the most recent patch. I then tried installing an earlier patch (1.42) and the game runs fine, even better than before, except the fact that it no longer saves. I am running it on XP, but not through steam.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Try to make a new profile in the game.
Man_Over_Game
level0

Postby Man_Over_Game » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I tried going to garden, but then an error came up, saying "invalid map file" came up, and the game froze. After that, the game won't open. The same error keeps coming up. I'm going to try erasing the profile.
Also: there doesn't seem to be a biosphere map anymore, and the repository map has some seriously strange terrain textures; looks like fractured, neon glass. A big ol' RESET button would be nice right about now...
Man_Over_Game
level0

Postby Man_Over_Game » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:33 pm

It works =_=

apparently, the game didn't like the old profiles, and did some weird stuff. Shoulda thought of that sooner. Thanks man, it would have taken me forever to actually do that.

As for the last message, I realized that the game was still in compatibility mode for windows 98 (a different site recommended it for XP problems), and so I didn't change that until just now. Problem solved. Funny thing is, I spent a long time to do all this, just to be able to view the intro screens of my new mods. Heh.

Return to “Windows Issues”