Selecting the correct sound device to use

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

AlexV
level0

Selecting the correct sound device to use

Postby AlexV » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to configure Darwinia to tell it which sound device to use? For some reason, it is insisting on using the USB Voip phone sound adaptor instead of my SoundBlaster X-Fi device, leading to predictably poor performance!

I have checked that the default sound device selected under Control Panel\Sounds and AudioDevices\Sound playback is "SB X-Fi Audio", and have tried switching that to "PHILIPS VOIP123" and back again, it makes no difference. As far as I can tell, no other software has any trouble recognizing that as the correct audio default device to use.

If I disable the Voip sound device, then Darwinia uses the SoundBlaster device, and performance is fine. Re-enabling the Voip sound device causes Darwinia to again use it in preference to the SoundBlaster.

Is there any way of forcing Darwinia to use a specified sound device, or getting it to obey the Windows Default sound device?

Thanks,

Alex
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm

The only thing that I can think of would be to mess with the Sound Library setting in the Sound Options menu. However, I don't think that will fix what you need it to fix.

xander
AlexV
level0

Postby AlexV » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:51 pm

The only option I have there is "DirectSound".

Return to “Windows Issues”