Incredibly Low Mouse Sensitivity

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Zeno
level0

Incredibly Low Mouse Sensitivity

Postby Zeno » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm

I just bought the new Darwinia/Multiwinia Pack on Steam. I played through the prolouge (Garden), and beat it. (Interesting way to start a game, by the way.) Anyway, everything performed fine; the graphics worked perfectly, the framerate was both smooth, and high, but there's one problem: my mouse sensitivity is incredibly low. I made aiming with a sqaud tough, and, for that matter, moving, too. For some reason, I remember there being a mouse sensitivity option in the demo (I could be wrong on that), but I could not find one in the game's options tab.

Basically, I just want to know if there's a way to increase sensitivity. It would help a lot! I would be appreciative if someone could do this for me!
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 am

I have also noticed this, but on my system at least it seemed to be a passing issue (though I might have just gotten wrapped up in the game). If you happen to come back, please say if it continued in other levels, or was an isolated incident.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:20 am

As this one post wonder was last active several months ago, I think it is fair to say that he isn't coming back.

xander
Crius
level0

Postby Crius » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 am

I just registered to post a solution for anyone having that problem with a terribly slow mouse:

I use Win7 :!: 64bit and an ATI card (4770 series) and I had the problems Zeno described: Using steam, I know my Darwinia is patched, but as I started it and entered the first level, my cursor would move only 4 squares and the field when moving my mouse like 20 cm. It's not playable this way, as I cannot travel fast enough (which I know I will have to at the higher levels).

I then loaded the 1.42 OpenGL version and exchanged the files provided in the patch file within my darwinia-steam directory. That's it. Got 322 fps and can travel the level as fast as it's suggested by IV :)

Now I can fight the virus once again in this chilling and artistic environment - thank god! I think it's gonna be a short weekend ... :wink:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:45 am

322 FPS? Ovedone. Definitely overdone. Especially since monitors can't even get close to that.

And xander, not that you're not right about the bump, but don't you feel bad for the poor OP who didn't wanna double-post? :P
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:55 am

Crius wrote:I just registered to post a solution for anyone having that problem with a terribly slow mouse:

I use Win7 :!: 64bit and an ATI card (4770 series) and I had the problems Zeno described: Using steam, I know my Darwinia is patched, but as I started it and entered the first level, my cursor would move only 4 squares and the field when moving my mouse like 20 cm. It's not playable this way, as I cannot travel fast enough (which I know I will have to at the higher levels).

I then loaded the 1.42 OpenGL version and exchanged the files provided in the patch file within my darwinia-steam directory. That's it. Got 322 fps and can travel the level as fast as it's suggested by IV :)

Now I can fight the virus once again in this chilling and artistic environment - thank god! I think it's gonna be a short weekend ... :wink:

Unfortunately, 1.42 isn't totally devoid of issues, there's a bug which I called turret crasher in 1.42 which didn't get fixed until 1.5.X, meaning that you need to be weary of using gun turrets when they be captured by the enemy.

It's definately worth a try (trying 1.42 if the latest patch gives you uncharacteristic doomy slowdown) though.

You might also want to consider turning on vsync somehow.
mkd
level0

Postby mkd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:22 am

Same problem (Vista, Darwinia on Steam). The cursor in game is slow and erratic.

The cursor is OK in the options, when I push Tab and on level select screen, the problem appears only in game. I tested, same problem on the first 3 levels.

I'm not sure but I think it's worst when I choose low graphic quality on options (cursor even slower), that's weird.

(sorry I'm not a good english speaker)
Last edited by mkd on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkd
level0

Postby mkd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:02 am

I tried the 1.42 patch trick and it didn't work.

I triedd to reinstall the game, after deleting all data (including saves and preferences etc.) and it didn't work.

Please help !! :cry:
yom
level0

Postby yom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 am

Same problem here : Win7 64bits, Darwinia on Steam. The mouse works fine until you begin to play : after a few seconds, the cursor becomes unresponsive and you can't play anymore.

A fix is *really* needed there, thanks.
mkd
level0

Postby mkd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Do you have a Xbox 360 controller plugged on your PC ?
yom
level0

Postby yom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Nope, but I do have a joystick plugged in. Do you think it could interfere with the game ?
mkd
level0

Postby mkd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:48 pm

OK.

It didn't fully resolve my problem, but after moving the directions with the Xbox pad, the mouse sensitivity in Darwinia became normal for 30 minutes/1 hour. You may try this.

The silence of Introversion about this problem is a shame : Darwinia is still sold on Steam and doesn't work well, goddamnit.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 pm

mkd wrote:The silence of Introversion about this problem is a shame : Darwinia is still sold on Steam and doesn't work well, goddamnit.
Only very few people seem to be affected, and it looks like none of them reported the issue in a way that enabled Introversion to even try a fix (Until now), what do you expect them to do? So you say that if you connect an XBox 360 pad and move it every now and then, mouse sensitivity is normal? What happens if you don't have a pad/stick connected at all?
yom
level0

Postby yom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

I can't find the proper way to make a good bug report with the Steam version of Darwinia. All i found was the sticky post referring to (what seems to be) an outdated patch, which is not applicable to the current version of the game.

So, what information shall I provide to make a good bug report ?
davgothic
level0

Postby davgothic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 am

I'm having the exact same problem.

The mouse was fine at first but now it's jittery when I move it in-game.

The mouse works fine on the task management and options screen though.

A few more details:

Game: Steam version of Darwinia
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz
RAM: 4 Gb
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4800
Mouse: Standard Logitech mouse with scroll wheel + back / forwards buttons
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x9440)
GPU Total Memory: 2303 MB
GPU Dedicated: 512 MB
GPU Driver Version: 8.681.0.0
GPU Driver Date: 24/11/2009

If there is any way to post more game specific data from a steam game then let me know and I'll post what I can.

Really looking forward to playing the game properly!

Return to “Windows Issues”