level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:24 am

Generally, you might expect to see at least:

Darwinina.exe
main.dat
sounds.dat
language.dat
patch.dat

I think the steam version comes with a directx dll file, too.

Once run, it should create in a location where it's safe to write files;

preferences.txt
users/profilenames/game.txt
users/profilenames/mission_[insertnamehere].txt

1.42 (and 1.5.X on XP) both just write these files in the same directory that darwinia.exe is in.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 pm

OK Someone rocked up on IRC toay with the same problem.

Basically the best solution is to run the game in XP SP2 compatability mode, which makes the game save it's files locally. Because you're running Vista, this is bad for the version that ISNT from steam, because steam messes with it's folder perms and lets programs save locally; this pretty much fixes the problem.

The way to check is to navigate to your steam dir, eg,

c:/programfiles/valve/steam/steamapps/yourusername/darwinia/

right click darwinia.exe, change it's compatability mode to windows XP SP2. Keep explorer showing the directory open

Run the game via steam.

If a file called preferences.txt is created in the above dir, then you're set!

However, because the game doesn't TELL people their saves aren't working, it's a pretty lame solution, because you can lose hours of playtime without realising the saving isn't work.

I would suggest that this API call that is allegedly being used is checked to the end that it actually works properly when you change the users directory.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:38 am

The GoldFish wrote:OK Someone rocked up on IRC toay with the same problem.

Basically the best solution is to run the game in XP SP2 compatability mode, which makes the game save it's files locally. Because you're running Vista, this is bad for the version that ISNT from steam, because steam messes with it's folder perms and lets programs save locally; this pretty much fixes the problem.

right click darwinia.exe, change it's compatability mode to windows XP SP2. Keep explorer showing the directory open

Run the game via steam.

However, because the game doesn't TELL people their saves aren't working, it's a pretty lame solution, because you can lose hours of playtime without realising the saving isn't work.

I would suggest that this API call that is allegedly being used is checked to the end that it actually works properly when you change the users directory.

You are my new hero, goldfish. It works every time like a charm now, and I no longer have to look at that stupid "Darwinia.exe has stopped working." bug. I'd kiss you if I were gay.
A3riel
level0

Postby A3riel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 pm

When Introversion will resolve this issue? No official reply after 2 months! Thanks to Goldfish for resolving - but Introversion must resolve. Why I must surf forums just after installing game.
Powerlord
level0

Postby Powerlord » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 am

The GoldFish wrote:OK Someone rocked up on IRC toay with the same problem.

Run the game via steam.

Excellent, that worked like a charm.

Still, it does seem odd that the Vista (1.5.x) version of the game doesn't recognize the issue with not saving... in Vista.

Edit: Remember how I said earlier that I never moved my Saved Games folder? I pasted the path of it to someone else earlier tonight after explaining to someone else the weirdness with Darwinia, and how it was finally fixed. Turns out that my HP computer has Saved Games moved to C:\Users\Username\Videos\Saved Games even though it LOOKS like it's in my profile folder. That was the problem in the first place! Moving the Saved Games folder back to its proper location fixed the problem.

The moral of the story? If you're using Vista and run Darwinia, if saving doesn't work, check your Saved Games folder's properties and make sure it really is in your user directory and not some other weird location.
Arnas
level0

Phew

Postby Arnas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:22 am

Hi,

I bought the game like, yestirday on steam and I got the same not saving problem.

Using compatability mode>xp (sp2), on darwinia.exe, fixed it.
Thanks a lot! :)

I also had my user folders, including the save game folder, redirected to another location. I'm sure that is the problem, and I'm glad there is a fix that doesn't require me to go back to default.

But, is this problem being looked at? I mean, just because there is a fix on these forums... actually, I'm positive nobody at Introversion thinks it's OK to leave it and are working on it but, silently. I suggest a quick note about it though, because it would make me feel a bit better knowing the problem is being worked on seeing how I spent yestirday playing the game happily for hours oblivious to the problem, until next time I start the game up, then seeing all that progress lost. Also I would like to suggest, if possible, for steam to give a note or something about this issue before launching the game (I'm saying it here because I think it would be easier, and get done quicker, if Introversion told valve about this, rather than some random user...)

Well anyway, just wanted to give a note about this issue, a kinda, "peeps are still getting this problem".

PS. Uplink is one of the greatest games I ever played! :D
taltamir
level1
level1

Postby taltamir » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

3 years later this critical issue is still there.
I just lost hours of play because of this disappearing save issue. Why isn't this bug fixed yet?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:37 pm

taltamir wrote:3 years later this critical issue is still there.
I just lost hours of play because of this disappearing save issue. Why isn't this bug fixed yet?

Darwinia was originally released in 2005 (8 years ago), and the Vista version was published in early 2007 (more than 6 years ago). IV have done essentially zero development for the game in the last six years (the last patch was released in June of 2007). This particular bug seems to be related to permissions, doesn't affect very many people, and can be worked around. No patch has been released to fix it because Darwinia is an old game, the problem is not a high priority problem (as there are work arounds), and Introversion have moved on to other things.

We can debate the merits of IV "end of lifing" Darwinia (in a sense) if you like---there are arguments to be made asserting that IV really should fix the problem. However, it is unlikely to change anything, and posting demanding and hostile replies to long dead threads is unlikely to change anything.

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”