Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

ERing
level1
level1

Worked before, now I have no idea what's wrong

Postby ERing » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Okay, first, system specs:
Athlon X2 5200+ 2.6GHz (runs at 2.7, no overclock)
2GB 667MHz RAM
HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT IceQ Edition 512MB GDDR3
Windows XP Home SP3

Now, before you say, its SP3, hold on. I tried on my laptop as well, which worked before as well, and it doesn't work either.
Desktop's problem:
Game starts, bootloader video shows, bootloader sound stops working after about 10 seconds.
After bootloader, no video whatsoever, just black screen. I can hear the sound of the planet screen (or whatever, the location select screen), sometimes it's distorted.
Mind you this is after the 1.5.11 patch.

On the laptop, after installing the patch one time (I've reinstalled countless times on both machines), I could actually see the location select screen, and everything was distorted. I go into options to find out somehow the demo version had been installed.

I don't have this problem now, except when I try to run the game on the laptop now, I get a Failed to set screen mode.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall on both machines for the umpteenth time and I'll let you know what happens at v1.0, then 1.42, then 1.5.11. And yes, my DirectX is up-to-date.

EDIT:

Okay, on the laptop, the v1 and 1.42 patches run fine except for the 1-5fps which I can't fix, and the graphics settings (graphic settings only, everything else changes) don't seem to want to change. The 1.5.11 patch gives me the Failed to set screen mode error.

The desktop is horrible. v1: First run bootloader runs with lag, and the sound seems to be playing chunks of the file out of order or something. (Hard to describe.) Then with all the patches its the same, black screen, distorted sound. No error log. Help much? :cry:
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:41 pm

ok, where to begin...

From 1.42 to 1.5.x Darwinia when from OpenGL graphics to Directx graphics (and is much more graphic demanding), this could the reason for your laptop to fails at 1.5.11 (I do remember of some problems displaying the location screen on some integrated video cards).

For your desktop, try doing a clean reinstall of the video driver? (Post dxdiag for the desktop?)

NeoThermic wrote:What I would suggest is to clean out the ATi drivers and re-install them.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
ERing
level1
level1

Postby ERing » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Yay, it worked. Thanks.

And yes, 1.5.11 is more graphics intensive, I get about 25 fps less than in 1.42. :P

Return to “Windows Issues”