3 FPS? There's no excuse. This is not Crysis.

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Do you think Darwinia is sloppily coded and poorly updated?

Yes
3%
Yes
No votes
Hell yes
11%
No.
86%

Total votes: 35
str4y_bullet
level0

Postby str4y_bullet » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 am

665 Darwinias on-screen, tons of virii, engineers, armours, and squaddies. runs flawless at 1440x900 all details jacked on my 4400+. try to aforementioned preference.txt adjustments and make sure it only gets one processor.

IV, have my children
FireFly
level1
level1

Postby FireFly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Im running it on:

2.4ghz Inte Quad Core Processor
3 gig of Ram
256mb GeForce 8800 GS

And I have had no issues with it, and im on 4 cores with Vista, so, I have no idea what you are complaining about.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 am

I have to say ED was being extremely unreasonable. There is no game that will run on every computer. There is no computer that will run every game.

I have a story to tell. My computer has a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, and a GeForce 6200. Darwinia has always run reasonably on my computer only dropping below 15 fps in Receiver. Valve's Team Fortress 2, however, was crashing randomly, and causing system instability. Upon posting the details of the problem on the Steam Forums, it was determined that I had a "Paged Pool Memory" issue. The solution? Buy more RAM. The Steam Page clearly states the MINIMUM is 512MB and the RECOMMENDED amount is 1GB. My computer should have run TF2 reasonably. Instead it was screwing up my whole system. But I didn't go and fire insults at Valve or its community members. I bought another fucking stick of RAM and the problem disappeared.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I have that paged pool thing too, but this computer sucks i'm about to get a new awesome one, then we'll see how perfectly steam stuff work! :D
by the way I think that at least one of the solutions worked because he/she isn't posting anymore
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 am

i have amd 64 3500, 1gb ram and a ati 2600xt.

runs 1280x1024 everything on high (latest dx patch with the goodies too) 8x anti aliasing (I think I have it forced, havent played it in awhile and not sure if the game supports 8x aa, correct me if i'm wrong), etc etc

using fraps I'm getting an fps hovering around 75 under heavy action. I did see it drop once when I let loose tons of grenades but even then it just dropped to 45 for a few seconds

I'd say it's your configuration. That or you have just done something wrong. Update your drivers, or reinstall them and use a driver cleaner program. Update Darwinia with the Vista patch (it works on XP as well if you use XP instead).

Maybe Darwinia does not like your dual-core or your crossfire setup. But honestly I would be frustrated too but coming on here attacking the team like this is just rude. These are independent developers, they did their best. If, as you say, people had so many problems that weren't resolved then why was the game as popular as it is? I've seen posts where people have had trouble and I've seen plenty of them resolved. Don't attack the developers and compare them to HL2's team. Valve has every resource they can need just about. the IV Team are extremely limited in resource and money.

As for a comparison, Audiosurf (a recent indie game released on Steam) HATES my computer. It doesn't run that well for whatever reason. But I don't care. Of course it plays at 30fps (which on my friends computer 60+ is a lot more smoother) and only cost 10 bucks but I still feel disappointed. But I'm not going to be rude and attack an indie developer with highly limited resources. If this was EA it would be a totally different story because it's just lazy on their part.

You come off as a genuine asshole who probably can't help it. Your frustration over a 30 dollar game (bundle) is highly exaggerated and immature (especially your capitalization of certain words). Steam is responsible for your refund. And if they don't do refunds then tough shit for you because I'm sure it states somewhere if they do not accept refunds. It's just me but my anger level would not reach that high over something as frivolous as a video game. But then again I have work, school, rent, dogs, girlfriends (lol)) to worry about. Indeed.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 pm

I can't believe theres this many answers here to try and help this guy. He proved himself in the very first post.
The world must revolve around him and his shitty pc.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 am

hitm4n wrote:I can't believe theres this many answers here to try and help this guy. He proved himself in the very first post.
The world must revolve around him and his shitty pc.
I agree.

Coming here and lashing at the developers is a clear sign that he does not want anyone's help.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
caleb8
level1
level1

Postby caleb8 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:39 am

allen wrote:
Maybe Darwinia does not like your dual-core or your crossfire setup.
But honestly I would be frustrated too but coming on here attacking the team like this is just rude.

it is probably not the dual core i have dual core and it works fine

and you can really tell from just his name that the is just here to bitch at just about anyone in particular

-caleb8
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm

My Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM and an intel integrated graphics card works fine, what soundcard are you using, you may try turning sound quality/number of channels down. Oh and as already mentioned latest drivers.
rebrane
level0

Postby rebrane » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:41 am

Hate to revive such a disagreeable old thread, but I think I had the same problem as this guy and solved it. He's right that his computer should be able to render Darwinia's graphics without a hitch. The problem was the sound.

In my preferences.txt I set:

SoundLibrary = null

and deleted all the other sound settings. This brought my framerate from 3fps at 800x600 to 60fps at 1680x1050. Interestingly enough, it did not disable my sound.

Edit: I just wanted to mention that I think the original poster was right about the fact that he should be entitled to expect the game to work, and everybody who said 'give up, some games don't work on some computers' was wrong. But I disagree and think Darwinia is a well-coded game.

Return to “Windows Issues”