Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Davidkra
level1
level1

Can't throw grenades

Postby Davidkra » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Hello,
I just installed Darwinia from Steam and the MaintenanceSys Mod. I tried to throw grenades to kill some virii, but I can't…, although they're researched.

Bye
David

preferences.txt:

Code: Select all

ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1

TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 1

SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 22050
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 32
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 0
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1

ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 24

RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 1

ControlMouseButtons = 3
ControlMethod = 1
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = TBM-MS
RenderSpecialLighting = 0
Difficulty = 1
ScreenHeight = 1200
CurrentGameMode = 1
ScreenColourDepth = 32
ScreenRefresh = 60
ScreenWidth = 1920

ModSystemEnabled = 1
LargeMenus = 0
AutomaticCamera = 0
Mod = TBM-MS
ControlHelpEnabled = 1

P.S. Why is there a IAmAServer variable? I thought there isn't a Multiplayer mode in Darwinia…
xander
level5
level5

Re: Can't throw grenades

Postby xander » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm

Davidkra wrote:P.S. Why is there a IAmAServer variable? I thought there isn't a Multiplayer mode in Darwinia…

Darwinia was originally designed as a multiplayer game, though that never actually came to fruition. Darwinia still functions with a server/client setup, and many of the multiplayer settings, while non-functional, are still in place.

As to not being able to throw grenades -- if you unload the mod, and try in the normal campaign setting, do they still work? If so, I would imagine that martin messed something up with his mod. Also, make sure that, anytime you start a new mod, you create a new profile for that mod.

xander
Davidkra
level1
level1

Postby Davidkra » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 pm

thx for that hint, will try that out :)
Davidkra
level1
level1

Postby Davidkra » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Unable to trow nades not-in-mod too…
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:41 am

But you were able to use 'nades at some point in the past?

xander
Davidkra
level1
level1

Postby Davidkra » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:01 pm

On a previous install: yes. On this install: no.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Davidkra wrote:On a previous install: yes. On this install: no.

So this started happening when you reinstalled Darwinia? What version of Darwinia are you running? on what OS? Have you tried reinstalling? I might reinstall directly from the CD (or from the download), and starting up Darwinia to see what happens. Then, apply the most recent patch, and try again. Then make any changes to your prefs file, and try again. That is, go step by step, and see where it breaks.

xander
chalz.r
level0

Postby chalz.r » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:23 pm

I have an occasional issue with grenades. I use a Logitech 2-button MarbleMan instead of a mouse. Here are some things that happen to me when I try using the secondary weapon:

* Hold down right-click, fire lasers for a few, then left-click and all weapons fire stops.
    * Hold down right-click and quickly left-click - grenades will fire, but I'll have to release all buttons to fire them again.
    * Hold down right-click, fire lasers for a few, then left-click and no grenades. Release right-click and the lasers keep firing. NOW left-click and grenades will launch. Can keep firing grenades, but lasers won't stop (and I can't left-click to move) until I right-click again (which disables lasers).

I usually get one of these issues, never a mix. Sometimes I exit and reload Darwinia and the issue appears. Sometimes I leave one level and enter another and the issue appears. 9 times out of 10, it will not fix itself.

My solution?

Go into Control Panel, Mouse properties, Buttons.. I have to alter the two-button behavior. Usually if I switch from Unassigned to Universal Scroll, or vice versa, then the grenades will work in Darwinia again.

But not always.

Sometimes I have to reboot my machine and try again.

I was running I think version 1.3 at the time (the US version from Cinemaware on CD?). I just installed 1.5.11. Can't say whether this has fixed my mouse issue or not. Either way, I'm pretty convinced my issue is not with Darwinia - it just shows up in Darwinia is all.

EDIT: Nope, according to blackbox.txt written on Feb 3 2008, it's win32-full-v1.0. I still can't believe I never updated before today.... I'm usually a patch addict.
chalz.r
level0

Postby chalz.r » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:20 am

Nevermind, I'm screwed. :/ Using the latest version with my 2 button mouse is a no go. On a whim, I edited the following line in preferences.txt:

ControlMouseButtons = 3

I changed it to '2'. Still no work. I've reassigned my mouse for different operations when pressing both buttons at the same time. As it currently stands, the only way I can fire grenades is if I rapidly click the left mouse button immediately after pressing and holding the right.

Guess I'm downgrading from 1.5.11 to 1.42. Fingers crossed - I don't want to reinstall completely :(
chalz.r
level0

Postby chalz.r » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:23 am

Okay, my last post on this matter ;) I swear!

I downgraded to 1.42 and alt-tab and grenades work fine. Yay! I miss the rocket level, but oh well, life goes on. :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:04 pm

chalz.r wrote:Okay, my last post on this matter ;) I swear!

I downgraded to 1.42 and alt-tab and grenades work fine. Yay! I miss the rocket level, but oh well, life goes on. :)

At least you can play my mod now ;)

it's always nice to see that people actually do play thse mods we make ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:46 pm

martin wrote:At least you can play my mod now ;)

Stab! Stab! Stabbity stab stab stab!

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:39 pm

xander wrote:
martin wrote:At least you can play my mod now ;)

Stab! Stab! Stabbity stab stab stab!

xander

Ow! Ow! Owwity Ow Ow Ow!

He mentioned my mod first! I think that's fair game ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Windows Issues”