Problem with mouse/gamepad control

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Mix2
level0

Problem with mouse/gamepad control

Postby Mix2 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:05 pm

I have a weird problem with the steam version of Darwinia, the mouse cursor is slower than normal like it stutters or jumps when moving to the left and in general more smoother moving to the right.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my setup which consists of;
Windows Vista 64-bit/Steam Darwinia latest version
Microsoft wireless laser mouse 6000 (with Microsoft driver installed)
Microsoft wired laser mouse 6000 (with standard HID mouse driver so as to not conflict with above mouse)
Microsoft Windows Xbox 360 controller

Both mice exhibit the problem even if I remove one or the other even though I did not have this problem the last time I played Darwinia on XP which was a while back so my guess is it's something to do with the Xbox 360 controller which incidentally is perfect no problems moving the cursor in any direction.

So is there any way of setting the mouse as the primary controller or disabling support for the Xbox 360 controller as I think this is the culprit ? (I tired unplugging it to no effect)
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Is your framerate normal?

wwarnick
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:17 pm

What are your system specs?

Have you got up to date drivers for your graphics card?

Have you tried running the game on lowered graphical settings?
Lim-Dul
level0

Postby Lim-Dul » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:52 am

I have EXACTLY the same problem under Vista 32 - I didn't have it under Win2K...

Yes, I have the latest drivers for everything.

Yes, the frame-rate is stable @ 75 fps.

Yes, my computer is fast enough:

Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.2 GHz
4 GB PDP Patriot RAM @ 1000 MHz
ASUS GeForce 8800 GTX

I tried adjusting the graphics settings to various performance levels - no change. I let Darwinia run on a single core by using imagecfg... Then I found a solution, well, rather an annoying work-around: the mouse stutters (the game is unplayable) only when I'm in full-screen mode - when I switch to windowed mode (same settings, same resolution) the mouse starts working alright...

P.S. The fact that I found a work-around doesn't mean that I'm not looking for a PROPER solution to this problem. =)
Mix2
level0

Postby Mix2 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:26 pm

Lim-Dul I tired your suggestion and yes it works the game is fine in windowed mode, no problems at all so we have the same problem it seems.

RabidZombie, wwarnick frame rate is a solid 60fps running on an Intel Core 2 Q6600, 4GB RAM with a Radeon 2900XT at 1680x1050 with latest drivers seeing as Lim-Dul has a different GPU to me it must be something else that is causing the bug as his workaround worked for me too.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Just to make sure, try closing all unnecessary background applications. Any one could be causing these problems. If you can't turn off your firewalls and anti-viruses, don't bother and simply say which ones you

What OS are you running Mix2, and have you tried running Darwinia on a single core?
Mix2
level0

Postby Mix2 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:05 pm

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Anti-Virus = Avast, Firewall is one built into Windows, turned them off made no difference.

Closed all unnecessary background apps, made no difference.

Full rundown of hardware
Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600
MSI P35 Platinum (Intel P35 chipset)
4GB Kingston HyperX DDR-2 800
Mix of Maxtor/Western Digital HD's.
ATI Radeon 2900XT {Catalyst 7.7}
Creative X-Fi tried all three music modes just in case it was that, no difference.

Forced v-sync made no difference.

Don't know how to force one core as it's the steam version but Lim-Dul already tried that in his post and made no difference.

As playing in a window fixes the problem it has allowed me to play the game as I wanted to play some mods too but I have noticed one very strange thing on the last Temple level, as soon as you start and are looking at the network port and viruses if I swing around to the island behind me with the spiders the stuttering happens like mad as if I was traversing rough terrain :o

But back on the flat water sections of the level the stuttering goes away and I have free movement of the mouse, other land segments on the level cause varying degree's of stickiness/stuttering of the mouse, it's a very unsual problem but as I have a workaround I'm not to pushed about a fix now.
Yoweigh
level0

Same problem here

Postby Yoweigh » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm having the same problem under Vista Ultimate 32-bit as well, and running in windowed mode works as a workaround.

Return to “Windows Issues”