Vista Patch Issue?

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:25 am

Atrac wrote:
KingAl wrote:Did you get the patch from the official site, over here?

To clear your cache etc., if you're using IE go to the menu bar -> Tools -> Delete Browsing History - you may have to press Alt to reveal the menu bar. In Firefox, the option is also in the Tools menu (Clear Private Data).
Sure did get it from there, but still the same problem. I cleared out my browser cache and installed the game. I started the game up and it was the full ver. I then installed the patch because the game runs like crap without it and it turned it into the demo ver.

watdafuxup?

did you get it from there again? If you got it from there sometime in the past then it was the wrong thing, one of the devs said so above - if you redownload and reinstall it should work. If you've done that then I don't know :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Throwing a random ideas here:

Does installing in another directory and installing the patch have the same result?

Which version of Darwinia do you have exactly? (Boxed copy?) What is your version before updating?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Atrac
level0

Postby Atrac » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:30 am

frenchfrog wrote:Throwing a random ideas here:

Does installing in another directory and installing the patch have the same result?

Which version of Darwinia do you have exactly? (Boxed copy?) What is your version before updating?
When I try another directory, such as the shortcut one, it says that darwinia isn't installed in there :[

SO I put it in the cinemaware(sp?) folder (in the C>program files>cinemaware folder).

I have to try more directories and tell you how that goes, but I believe I have tried basically every folder I could possible put the patch in.

I also tried downloading the patch from another site such as Gamespot...same result :/

I bought the box version. So surprised at the price!! I got a free key-chain and a poster all for four dollars! But I still want to play this awesome game.

*sigh* I might as well try buying the Steam version and see how that goes, but if that also screws me over than I guess it's time to try a new game :(
Atrac
level0

Postby Atrac » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 am

martin wrote:
Atrac wrote:
KingAl wrote:Did you get the patch from the official site, over here?

To clear your cache etc., if you're using IE go to the menu bar -> Tools -> Delete Browsing History - you may have to press Alt to reveal the menu bar. In Firefox, the option is also in the Tools menu (Clear Private Data).
Sure did get it from there, but still the same problem. I cleared out my browser cache and installed the game. I started the game up and it was the full ver. I then installed the patch because the game runs like crap without it and it turned it into the demo ver.

watdafuxup?

did you get it from there again? If you got it from there sometime in the past then it was the wrong thing, one of the devs said so above - if you redownload and reinstall it should work. If you've done that then I don't know :P
Heh, yeah I tried that. At one point (about a day or so before this problem) I had the full ver. and the patch installed. It was glitchy saying it was the demo, but I was able to go to other levels after the garden level. I then clicked on the demo level in the options (it gives you the choice to play it) and that's when things went downhill. I tried to leave that level and go back to the select level world thing and it would just restart the demo level (should have never touched the damn thing I had it going!!)

I don't know, this game seemed cool. I might just give up. Seems to be no solution to this problem.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:01 am

Ok, this is weird - and unfortunately probably where I can't help anymore because I don't actually have vista myself :/

I would suggest uninstalling the entire thing, and deleting the downloaded patches. Then a nice clean reinstall, redownload the patches and that should work - if it doesn't it's something unique to your setup and that's for someone who knows more about the vista version to sort.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Atrac wrote:
frenchfrog wrote:Throwing a random ideas here:

When I try another directory, such as the shortcut one, it says that darwinia isn't installed in there :[

SO I put it in the cinemaware(sp?) folder (in the C>program files>cinemaware folder).

I wasn't clear enough, install Darwinia in another directory and then apply the patch. (This should have the same result as a clean reinstall as martin suggested in his last post)

If it doesn't solve your problem perhaps post the content of the preferences.txt file.
uk_john
level0

Postby uk_john » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm

The above solution solved my problem, but I am using XP Pro SP2.

I suggest you close the other thread about 1.5.1.1 as that heading brings more people to that other thread about the vista problem with 1.5.11. I posted a message there then noticed this thread with the updated 1.5.1.1 solve The original 1.5.1.1 was downloaded from Gamespy, so there are a lot of 'bad' 1.5.1.1's still out there. Therefore this should have had a 1.5.1.2 moniker to separate it, as I think people will keep having this problem, like I did on this day of March 4th 2008, quite a while after this came to light! As long as there are copies of the Darwinia game out there to sell, then people are going to buy it, be downloading the 'bad' 1.5.1.1 and then coming here looking for answers.....

The other thread (that as I say, has a better heading to bring people with this problem into it) is only going to cause confusion and should be closed or merged with this one.
A sign of PC gaming decline - etro gaming getting huge! :)
LENIN_
level0

Bug or problem in my sistem?

Postby LENIN_ » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:09 am

After installation of a patch 1.5.1.1 I have found the small bug - the button "restore default" in the menu control options does not work.

In version 1.42 this button worked.

Windows XP Pro SP2
lordvad3r
level0

Postby lordvad3r » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:06 am

Some one please help! I just finished the game for the first time and figured out how to create maps and i made one. I exited the edit mode to try it out. When i did Darwinia turned black and windows came up and said looking for problum closing program. ( It crashed) Now everytime i try to run Darwinia it imediantly crashes even after restarting and nothing changes still crashes someone please help! :( I would prefer not to have to Uninstall darwinia and start all over :( :(
lordvad3r
level0

Postby lordvad3r » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:23 am

=========================
DARWINIA BLACK BOX REPORT

VERSION : win32-full-v1.22
ERROR : 'Invalid map file specified'

====== PREFERENCES ======

ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1
TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 1
SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 22050
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 32
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 0
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1
ScreenWidth = 1024
ScreenHeight = 768
ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 24
ScreenColourDepth = 32
ScreenRefresh = 60
RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 1
ControlUp = key E
ControlDown = key Q
ControlLeft = key A
ControlBackwards = key S
ControlRight = key D
ControlForwards = key W
ControlChatLog = key TAB
ControlZoom = key Z
ControlDeselect = key SPACE
ControlMouseButtons = 3
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = lordvad3r
ModSystemEnabled = 1
Mod = MyNewMod

====== STACKTRACE =======

retAddress = 0041F3EC
retAddress = 004A0F15
retAddress = 004A27C8
retAddress = 0049B5A5
retAddress = 00489F1F
retAddress = 004AADB1
retAddress = 00424CF6
retAddress = 004BF91A
retAddress = 75B94911
retAddress = 76FAE4B6
retAddress = 76FAE489
retAddress = 00000000

Tryed to make a map for the first time. Went to try it out game crashed , now game crashes everytime i run it crashes like 1 second after i click the icon.

Someone please help i really dont want to have to uninstall and redo the game :( :( :( :( :( :(
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:19 pm

In your preferences file, change

Code: Select all

Mod = MyNewMod

to

Code: Select all

Mod = none

For future reference, questions like this really belong in the Mod Projects section of the forum. Also, feel free to create a new topic if you have a new question (i.e. after you have searched for a solution and not found it), rather than bumping an old topic that is unrelated to your question.

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”