Vista and ATI

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

wwarnick
level5
level5

Vista and ATI

Postby wwarnick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

I was holding off speaking up, thinking that someone else would first.

I installed Vista about a month and a half ago. I bought the new Vista version of Darwinia after hearing that the original ran slow on Vista. Unfortunately, my framerate was down to 20. It wasn't much higher when I disabled the new effects. And the cursor moved "choppily" (the best word I could think of). Even when the settings were rock bottom, the input response was slower than it was before Vista. About a week later, Steam updated Darwinia with the new Vista patch (20 bucks wasted) with the same symptoms.

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 with the latest drivers. 1.6 Core Duo, Gig of RAM.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

wwarnick
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Anybody?

wwarnick
BT14
level0

Postby BT14 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:44 pm

have you tried installing the new vista patch? look at the news page
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Yes. In fact, I was speaking of the Vista-only version sold by Microsoft and the Steam version, which is updated with the Vista patch.

I'm curious whether or not this is unique to my hardware.

wwarnick
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:02 pm

I assume that no one has any idea why this might be happening? Has no one else experienced similar problems?

wwarnick
Atrac
level0

Postby Atrac » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Yeah, this game eats a ton of memory on my Vista. I too have an X1400 Radeon mobility card, but I have 2 gigs of DDR2 ram(which is why I am guessing this game runs a bit faster for me). Try running the game on a single core if you have a duo processor. It runs around 30-40 FPS with everything on high in a lower resolution.

I have a new problem though with the patch. It turns my full game into the demo ver. only. Anyone know how I can fix this problem.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:29 am

Before Vista and the patch, it ran silky smooth. The only time the game ever slowed down was when the camera was in the middle of a tree. But now all of a sudden, the game always runs that slow unless I turn all graphics down all the way. But even then the framerate is still a little slower than it was.

Changing the affinity didn't fix it. And it's not memory that's the problem.

I don't want to keep nagging, but does anybody at all have any ideas why this might be happening?

wwarnick
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:43 am

Can I at least hear a no?

wwarnick
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:27 am

wwarnick wrote:Can I at least hear a no?

I think not.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:02 am

wwarnick wrote:Before Vista and the patch, it ran silky smooth. The only time the game ever slowed down was when the camera was in the middle of a tree. But now all of a sudden, the game always runs that slow unless I turn all graphics down all the way. But even then the framerate is still a little slower than it was.

Changing the affinity didn't fix it. And it's not memory that's the problem.

I don't want to keep nagging, but does anybody at all have any ideas why this might be happening?

wwarnick

Your video card handling OpenGL better than DirectX? Perhaps some greater inefficiency in the new rendering system? Hrm, your situation does seem a little awkward, though. One thought, try copying the Vista version files to a new folder, deleting the .exe, and then applying the 1.42 patch to the folder. That might successfully revert you to a previous version, though I don't really know the specifics on the MSN Games version.
Keep in mind that Perdition, the mod that comes with that version, will not work with 1.42 as it uses modding features only implemented for the Vista version.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:40 am

LIFE! It worked! Thanks KingAl, I appreciate it. I haven't completed an entire level in Darwinia since I installed Vista because of the problem. I'd heard that the original version ran terribly in Vista, but it's vice-versa on my machine. I have a solid 60 fps now. I wonder how difficult it would be for IV to allow the player to toggle between DX and GL in-game (at the expense of the shader effects).

Anyway, sorry for continually bumping the topic, but I guess it paid off. Thanks KingAl.

wwarnick
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 am

Haha, no, it's alright. I've seen the topic multiple times, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier :( You've probably missed the worst of the OpenGL compatibility issues now, thankfully.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch

Return to “Windows Issues”