Free upgrade to Darwinia Vista?

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

grantly
level0

Free upgrade to Darwinia Vista?

Postby grantly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:22 pm

I saw in an earlier post that everyone who already owned darwinia would be allowed to download a patch to make the game work on vista. I bought the game on steam and was wondering if a patch is being developed (for the steam version as well) that would allow players to play on vista without all the framerate issues.

Thanks so much!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:43 pm

The short answer is: Yes. A patch to the pure DirectX version of Darwinia is being developed, and presumably will be released, which should resolve the issues.

The longer answer is: The current version of Darwinia should work perfectly in Vista if OpenGL and whatever other libraries Darwinia uses were properly supported by the early sound and graphics drivers, and indeed eventually (hopefully) such support will exist. Thus, ultimately if those responsibly for creating the Vista drivers get their act together, you won't need the patch to play (Indeed, some people with certain hardware configurations already have no problems). However, you won't get all the shiny effects if you stick with the older version.
Last edited by KingAl on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grantly
level0

Postby grantly » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 pm

KingAl wrote:The short answer is: Yes. A patch to the pure DirectX version of Darwinia is being developed, and presumably will be released, which should resolve the issues.

The longer answer is: The current version of Darwinia should work perfectly in Vista if OpenGL and whatever other libraries Darwinia uses were properly supported by the early sound and graphics drivers, and indeed eventually (hopefully) such support will exist.

Yeah, I know. It's pretty sad that microsoft is claiming that Vista is a serious gaming platform and it can't play any game that wasn't programmed with DX 9 or 10 well or in some cases, at all.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:48 pm

I predict there will be more support in time. It's still brand new.

I hope the darwinia-vista patch is released soon.

wwarnick

Return to “Windows Issues”