radar dishes one way one hub

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

bioangel
level0

radar dishes one way one hub

Postby bioangel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:42 am

i am having a problem with some of the radar dishes only working one way they arre not leting me send the darwinienns to the center so that ican finesh the level.
if this is a know problem help would be appreated if not what is the next level and where is the hack to jump to it.
any help would be appreeeeated sory for spelling and any info need just ask
bioangel
level0

Postby bioangel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:50 am

sorry i meant the on the containment level
bioangel
level0

Postby bioangel » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:59 am

plz remove this post mod i found the fix it was me not alliaing for tansmission back set up for one way
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:00 am

Indeed.

For those who may stumble across this thread in a search:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=2825
Fifth question :P
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
DocHogan
level0

Postby DocHogan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:53 am

Sorry to bump this after almost 4 years, but I'm having a related problem.

In Containment there's a radar I can NOT operate. Once I click on it to get control, things go a crazy. I lose all directional control of the mouse, basically. The view will start bouncing up and down (not quite from straight up to straight down, but close...perhaps at the top and bottom extremes of what a radar dish is allowed for sighting?), and if I give any side-to-side movement to the mouse, it seems that the view is either jumping in huge steps around a circle, or it's actually spinng really really fast and I'm just getting graphics lag. Whatever it is that's happening, I can usually hit the space bar a few times, with long pauses in between, to deselect the radar, and then everything (else) is fine again. If I don't manage to spacebar-deselect, Darwinia will minimize as though the mouse has left the gamescreen.

I'm running the latest patch...haven't tried this with any older versions (except for way way back when it came out, and I don't remember this issue), so I don't know if it's version dependant. The radar dish I'm having a problem with is on the island with the Yard portal, and is the dish right next to the mountain and leads to the island that leads to the Generator Portal island.

I'd *really* like to get this going...I was preaching Darwinia+ on XBLA (XBox 360) coming out next month to a friend, and it got me nostalgic to play the original again. (Actually, I'd been pushing Uplink on him, then discovered the news re D+ when I went to show him screens of UL...now I'm trying to cross-play both, and am learning Defcon and Multiwinia, which I'd overlooked somehow 'back in the day'...major IV therapy going on right now :D pun intended)

THE FLAT DUDES OF DARWINIA NEED YOUR HELP!! Any ideas on getting around this problem?

[UPDATE]
I promise I did do a search before I posted this, but I've since managed to find a dozen other radar posts. I've followed all the advice which applied (changing the render method to 0, installing intel INF_Update since I have a 945Extreme chipset); the only thing that eventually got me around this issue THIS TIME, was as follows:
1) click on the radar to activate aiming
2) IMMEDIATELY middle-click and hold to zoom
3) while zoomed, SLOWLY turn camera toward target radar
4) while STILL zoomed, click on target radar
5) release zoom and start trying to spacebar-deselect...this took a while

So, I *did* manage to get this one radar "fixed"...this is not a solution, though. I'll never make it through later areas using this "fix"
[/update]
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:26 pm

The problem is almost certainly that your framerate is below the 10-15 FPS required for radar operation. If you are experiencing this problem with higher framerates (say, anything above 30 FPS), then it is truly a novel issue. However, I suspect that the entire game is having some trouble, and that this is just one symptom. The best advice that I can give (aside from trying to work around this issue as you have) is to get a new machine, or, at the very least, a new video card.

Having said that, what are the specs of the machine on which you are running Darwinia?

xander
DocHogan
level0

Postby DocHogan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 pm

xander wrote:The problem is almost certainly that your framerate is below the 10-15 FPS required for radar operation. If you are experiencing this problem with higher framerates (say, anything above 30 FPS), then it is truly a novel issue. However, I suspect that the entire game is having some trouble, and that this is just one symptom. The best advice that I can give (aside from trying to work around this issue as you have) is to get a new machine, or, at the very least, a new video card.

That's most likely it...I run an average of around 7-12fps.

Having said that, what are the specs of the machine on which you are running Darwinia?

Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop
Core2Duo 1.73Ghz *
1GB RAM **
intel 945 Express display adapter ***

BTW - I have all in-game graphical settings settings set to 'Low'. Also:
* I've experimented with changing Darwinia's CPU affinity to use just Core 0, just Core 1, and both cores. Doesn't seem to make any difference

** Yes, needs major upgrading...definitely in my plans, but not within my budget ;)

*** Also needs upgrading. Thankfully, that *is* possible with this laptop, but VERY pricey. I can move to an nVidia7400 for around $250. Again, not fitting into budget ;)

[edit]
Info on this should be added to the Common Darwinia Bugs! --with-solutions sticky
[/edit]
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah... you definitely need to upgrade. It sounds like you have already done just about all that you can do. That machine really just isn't powerful enough for Darwinia well, especially when the graphics card is considered.

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”