Windows Vista RC1 + Steam + Darwinia = 1fps.

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

JoeTheZombie
level0

Windows Vista RC1 + Steam + Darwinia = 1fps.

Postby JoeTheZombie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:45 pm

Although other games work fine, it looks like Darwinia doesn't play so nicely with Vista. I realize Vista is pre-release software, so I'm not going to file a bug report or complain, but I am wondering if anyone has it working under Vista, or if Vista will be supported in the future.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Darwinia uses OpenGL, which there is no WDDM compatable Vista driver that supports OpenGL yet. Not even ATi's or nVidia's RC1 drivers support it. You'll have to wait for an offical driver with OpenGL compatability before Vista can play any of IV's games.

NeoThermic
JoeTheZombie
level0

Postby JoeTheZombie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the [extremely] quick reply.

Edit: Although I don't have an nVidia card, it looks like the 96.33 version of their ForceWare driver includes an OpenGL driver.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:35 pm

JoeTheZombie wrote:Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the [extremely] quick reply.

Edit: Although I don't have an nVidia card, it looks like the 96.33 version of their ForceWare driver includes an OpenGL driver.

It will be intresting to see if it works. ATi's latest and greatest not only lacks OpenGL support, but screws up on a 9600 and a x1600 (and possibly others).

NeoThermic
TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:41 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Darwinia uses OpenGL, which there is no WDDM compatable Vista driver that supports OpenGL yet. Not even ATi's or nVidia's RC1 drivers support it. You'll have to wait for an offical driver with OpenGL compatability before Vista can play any of IV's games.

NeoThermic
Yet another reason why it's Vista Release Candidate 1 :D

Bleh, just dual-boot linux or XP. Unless you've already done that or you're one of the people that use Betas for things other than testing purposes. :P
JoeTheZombie
level0

Re: Windows Vista RC1 + Steam + Darwinia = 1fps.

Postby JoeTheZombie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:16 pm

JoeTheZombie wrote:I realize Vista is pre-release software, so I'm not going to file a bug report or complain
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:14 pm

TinFoil wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Darwinia uses OpenGL, which there is no WDDM compatable Vista driver that supports OpenGL yet. Not even ATi's or nVidia's RC1 drivers support it. You'll have to wait for an offical driver with OpenGL compatability before Vista can play any of IV's games.

NeoThermic
Yet another reason why it's Vista Release Candidate 1 :D

Bleh, just dual-boot linux or XP. Unless you've already done that or you're one of the people that use Betas for things other than testing purposes. :P

Intrestingly enough, RC1 means that there should be no show-stopping bugs in the OS. Lack of OpenGL support should not be a feature of RC1 ;)

Plus I know all about beta stuff. Hell, I alpha test Firefox 3.0, betatest 2.0, use some of the nightlies, tinderbox builds of the linux kernel, beta's of Vista and even the beta's of phpBB3. So don't try tell me what I should and shouldn't do ;)

NeoThermic

Return to “Windows Issues”