1.42 Sound Issue Leading to Darwinia Crash

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Laz
level0

1.42 Sound Issue Leading to Darwinia Crash

Postby Laz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:35 am

When playing the Pattern Buffer level on build 1.42 of Darwinia the game looks up when I use the armor. Usually when I am employing the second or third unit. I have tried decreasing the sound settings and the problem still occurs. This is my first time on the level and it is really my first time trying to use the armor effectively. Before the game locks up the graphics become very slow and jerky. Up until this point, the game has ran flawlessly on my system (All previous play was on build 1.3 - up to the pattern buffer lev). I hope that the info helps resolve the problem. Keep up the great work. I love the game. System info and blackbox text below:

System Specs
Motherboard: DFI- LP UT nF3 250GB nVIDIA nFORCE3 250GB, CPU AMD Athlon 64 3400+ socket 754, nforce driver 5.11
Memory: Corsair twinx1024-3200XL 2X64X64 400MHZ 2X512MB (matched pair) 2-2-2-5,
Hard Drives: 2 Seagate 160GB Barracuda SATA 7200RPM 8MB
Video Card: BFG 6800 with 128MB driver ver 81.98
Sound: onboard sound driver ver4.62
Operating System: WindowsXP Pro with SP2 and latest updates

----

BlackBoc Text
VERSION : win32-full-steam-1.4.2
ERROR : 'DirectSound ERROR
C:\Development\Darwinia\code\sound\sound_library_3d_dsound.cpp line 997
Direct sound couldn't set fx
Error Code : E_OUTOFMEMORY
Ran out of memory'

=========================
====== PREFERENCES ======
ServerAddress = 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 1
IAmAServer = 1
TextLanguage = english
TextSpeed = 15
HelpEnabled = 1
SoundLibrary = dsound
SoundMixFreq = 44100
SoundMasterVolume = 255
SoundChannels = 32
SoundHW3D = 0
SoundSwapStereo = 0
SoundMemoryUsage = 1
SoundBufferSize = 512
SoundDSP = 1
ScreenWidth = 800
ScreenHeight = 600
ScreenWindowed = 0
ScreenZDepth = 24
ScreenColourDepth = 32
ScreenRefresh = 85
RenderLandscapeDetail = 1
RenderWaterDetail = 1
RenderBuildingDetail = 1
RenderEntityDetail = 1
RenderCloudDetail = 1
RenderPixelShader = 1
ControlMouseButtons = 3
ControlMethod = 1
BootLoader = random
UserProfile = Laz
RenderSpecialLighting = 0

====== STACKTRACE =======
retAddress = 00421646
retAddress = 00481BAB
retAddress = 0047ED8C
retAddress = 00486086
retAddress = 004B3A78
retAddress = 004B4581
retAddress = 004262C2
retAddress = 004D2DCA
retAddress = 7C816D4F
retAddress = 00000000
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:01 pm

A classic example of a crash caused by Memory Problems. The solution is the first section of that linked topic :)

NeoThermic
Laz
level0

Postby Laz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Thanks for the quick response
GlenStew
level1
level1

Postby GlenStew » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:01 pm

I know the BB Report says OO Mem. but be aware that some of us experience Armor crashes that aren't related to the sound settings. If you're subject to it, it occurs when or shortly after Armor you've deployed to a gun turret is over run by red Darwinians.

I'm just brining it up because you mention the armor and it occuring more than once.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:05 pm

GlenStew wrote:Be aware that some of us experience Armor crashes that aren't related to the sound settings. If you're subject to it, it occurs when or shortly after Armor you've deployed to a gun turret is over run by red Darwinians.

True, but the error said: 'Error Code : E_OUTOFMEMORY '.

If it had crashed the way you experence, then there would be no black box, and if there was, it wouldn't say E_OUTOFMEMORY.

Also note that the level affected (pattern buffer) is notorious for its memory leak.

NeoThermic
GlenStew
level1
level1

Postby GlenStew » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:21 pm

GlenStew wrote:I know the BB Report says OO Mem. but be aware that some of us experience Armor crashes that aren't related to the sound settings. If you're subject to it, it occurs when or shortly after Armor you've deployed to a gun turret is over run by red Darwinians.

I'm just brining it up because you mention the armor and it occuring more than once.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 pm

GlenStew wrote:
GlenStew wrote:I know the BB Report says OO Mem. but be aware that some of us experience Armor crashes that aren't related to the sound settings. If you're subject to it, it occurs when or shortly after Armor you've deployed to a gun turret is over run by red Darwinians.

Laz wrote:Before the game locks up the graphics become very slow and jerky.

The armour crash is a hard-crash, there's no leadup to it, there's no black box, and its very evident that its a hard-crash. The memory leak is a slow crash that eats at the memory. The leadup to the final crash is jerky performance, windows wishing to re-size the swap file, disk thrashing, and finally a crash, with a blackbox.

I know you're trying to help, but can we keep suggested bugs and solutions to the problem as described?

NeoThermic
Lowell
level3
level3

Re: 1.42 Sound Issue Leading to Darwinia Crash

Postby Lowell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Laz wrote:When playing the Pattern Buffer level on build 1.42 of Darwinia the game looks up when I use the armor. Usually when I am employing the second or third unit. I

That is correct. The trouble is with the AI Units , Armor, AI Targets. When used, they often crash a level soon after it begins in 1.42. With armor it happens all the time but you have to have the AI unit set to team one first. Take the AI Unit and make it team zero or two and the armor will not crash the game.

Edit// To fix the crashes and finish work on my mod, I moved all my files to my C drive out of steam, this fixed my trouble for now, although the new patch is just like using darwinia inside steam in relation to this trouble.

EDIT// I should also mention that I have 4gig of ram on this machine...no blackbox was generated by those crashes.
Last edited by Lowell on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlenStew
level1
level1

Postby GlenStew » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:42 am

c'mon neo. like i said.

"I'm just brining it up because you mention the armor and it occuring more than once." As in "hey, just in case, some may be unrelated to others." and...... "anyone else looking here for help on armor crashes, keep that in mind"

Also, i reported my experiences with the armor crash back in December (not the first i know), and am full aware there's no BB report. http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... 8&start=15

Let it go. I was just quoting myself because you quoted me pre-edit, and the only reason I edited was to prevent (failed obviously) crap like this.

Geee wiz!
Ansith
level0

Postby Ansith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:29 am

I'm getting the same problems as Laz, but it happens shortly after the red darwinians are in them, I really can't finish this level because of that. It was my last choice to use the armors because when I tryed to do it before 4 places were hard to take control of all at once. I was getting the memory crashs before this was happening now it doesn't come up with any error thing when it crashes except for the error report thing.

Return to “Windows Issues”