Another "FATAL ERROR"

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

mooseulator
level0

Another "FATAL ERROR"

Postby mooseulator » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:45 pm

I bought darwinia from steam played it once and the next day it stopped working and whenever i try and start darwinia even before any music or anything happens the screen goes black for about a second then i get a "fatal error" sayin that "Failed to open audio output device: "specified resource is already allocated"" and then the game shuts down, ive tried starting steam again and downloading the latest patches but they don't help, ive tried contacting introversion but they dont help so im askin you people what should i do?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:56 pm

I'd probably start by checking that your sound card has been installed properly, with the latest drivers, and doesn't have an IRQ/DMA/Whatever conflict with any other hardware in your system. Check that you have the latest version of DirectX properly installed. Make sure you're not running Winamp, WiMP, or any video/DVD playing programs in the background. In fact, try shutting off any unnecessary programs before trying to run Darwinia. Oh, and disable hardware3D and realtime FX in the Darwinia sound options (if you have them enabled), as they're buggy anyways.

Just off the top of my head, you didn't give us much to go on, really.

Return to “Windows Issues”