Beat it twice but can't play mods

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

R A C
level0

Beat it twice but can't play mods

Postby R A C » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:19 am

Ok, this is kind of complicated. I beat the game twice now, but am unable to play mods. I beat it once, was able to play mods and whatever. Then something went weird/wrong with a/some file/files and Darwinia kept crashing before it would start. So I did what I always do when a game on steam goofs up. I delete any suspect files. This solved the crashing issue, but unfortunately reset whatever it is that gives access to mods.

So I beat it again starting this afternoon, but then the odd crashing thing started again. And I had restarted darwinia a few times during my run through this afternoon to clear the memory and whatever and the game started back up fine, no problems at all. So in my efforts to isolate the file that was causing it to crash, I also ended up deleting whatever unlocks modding capabilities.

I also attempted to see if it was possible to reset the objectives for the temple map by editing the mission_temple...txt (using the redshirt2 tool of course). I deleted the bit between

Code: Select all

PrimaryObjectives_StartDefinition
PrimaryObjectives_EndDefinition

But that just set the objectives to error (null) or something like that. the menu in the level did give me the reset level option after that. That gave me back the objectives but it still says they are complete.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what file unlocked mods and how to edit it so I could use mods without playing through the game for the third time in 3 days. Is there some easy solution like mods=yes in the preferences file that I somehow missed or do I have to play through again?

Sorry for the long post, but I know from experience of being on the giving end and on the recieving end of help and that the more info the better.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Find preferences.txt. Add these two lines:

Code: Select all

ModSystemEnabled = 1
Mod = Insurrection
Replace "Insurrection" with the name of the mod you are playing, or "none" if you are not playing a mod.

xander
R A C
level0

Postby R A C » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:57 am

thanks

Return to “Windows Issues”