Demo crashes at startup

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, andy, John

Stimulantium
level0

Demo crashes at startup

Postby Stimulantium » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:46 am

I wanted to show the Darwinia demo to my sister at her place. It fell back to windows after trying to initialize directx (I guess). The PC uses WinXP and is equipped with an Geforce4 MX, latest drivers etc. installed.

Is there any option to enable error logging?
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:02 pm

A blackbox error should be automatically generated. It'll be in [game dir]/blackbox.txt
mic
level0

Crashing on SP2

Postby mic » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 am

I just downloaded the demo and it won't start!!!

I've got XP with SP2 and directX9.0c and the latest videocard drivers but i don't think it has anything to do with the graphics.

When i start it, the screen goes black. Then it says "Darwina.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" and askes me if i want to send an error report.

I then tryed it on my other computer. When it starts it says "Driver compnent sizes mis-match" the same message comes up with Uplink. It has XP with SP2 aswel l, and has a WinFast A340 graphics card. It has directX9.0c

Whats going on!!! I want to see what the game is like!!!
mic
level0

oops

Postby mic » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:42 am

I forgot to mention that it dosn't create a blackbox.txt file on either computers.
Stimulantium
level0

Postby Stimulantium » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:38 am

it didn't create a blackbox file. that's why i asked for an option to turn it on. maybe the demo does no logging at all.
Angry Armadillo
level3
level3

Postby Angry Armadillo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:47 pm

I also get this problem :(

I start it, the resolution changes and my screen goes black, windows standard error message, game colsed.

I dont have a blackbox.txt

I even extracted the .dat files like in uplink to see if it would be in there, but nothing

I also tried extracting the files to a different directory, nothing, and compatability mode, nothing again :(
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:17 pm

It seems to be related to this thread...

We need specs, people! It seems to be a common problem, with (as yet) no solution, but we need people's specifications (graphics card, processor, etc). Also, when the Send Error Report/Don't Send box shows, look where it says 'To see what this error report contains, click here' and click there! Where it says 'Error signature' at the top of the new window, copy all the text underneath, as this may help isolate the problem.

S

Return to “Windows Issues”